Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 25, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This amazing cream cheese frosting recipe goes perfect on cakes, bars, and cupcakes for the ultimate dessert topping.
I absolutely love topping off some of my dessert recipes with some sort of sauce or creamy topping. If you want to take your desserts to the next level try serving them up with homemade chocolate sauce or homemade whipping cream.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is a popular dessert topping or filling. It offers unique flavors that pair up well with fall cakes and desserts, like a pumpkin roll. I personally prefer to cut the cream cheese frosting with some softened butter to make it richer and firmer, especially when chilled.
This is a great frosting alternative to any typical buttercreams or sugar-based frostings or glazes to all of your baked goods, and the best part is, it’s only 5 ingredients.
How to Make It
Use these simple-to-prepare instructions for making this delicious cream cheese frosting:
Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on high speed for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
Pour in the sugar, vanilla, and salt and whip at low speed until incorporated, and then turn the speed to high and whip until it is completely combined and smooth.
Ice a cake, pipe onto some cupcakes, or chill until ready to serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. When thawing you may need to re-whip.
chef notes + tips
- You can use all cream cheese instead of adding butter if you prefer.
- Make sure you soften your cream cheese and butter before whipping by pulling it out of the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours before making it.
- This frosting is awesome for just dipping fruit, cookies, or cake in.
- If you want your cream cheese frosting to be thicker, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch while whipping it.
- Feel free to sift the powdered sugar ahead of time if you are using hand beaters.
- Thin out the frosting with a little bit of milk if it’s too thick.
Cakes It Goes Great On
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
- Pinch of salt
- Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on high speed for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Pour in the sugar, vanilla, and salt and whip at low speed until incorporated and then turn the speed to high and whip until it is completely combined and smooth.
- Ice a cake, pipe onto some cupcakes, or chill until ready to serve.