Sour Cream Bundt Cake Recipe with Caramel Sauce: This delicious Bundt cake recipe is loaded with sour cream, almonds, amaretto and is topped off with a homemade caramel sauce for an unbelievable flavor.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill. The opinions and text are all mine.
Man do I love Bundt cakes…
I know I don’t make them often, but every day I get a little bliss.
It starts at about 5:30 in the morning and it lasts for about 90 minutes. It’s 90 minutes of silence, still, quietness before the day starts.
I usually do a little reading in the morning, reflecting, some work, all while drinking coffee and if I’m lucky enough a slice of Bundt cake.
Don’t get me wrong I love seeing my family when they wake up, but that little bit of me time with a big hot black coffee and a delicious slice of homemade sour cream bundt cake is just glorious!
Some people may think of Bundt cakes as a dessert, but to me it’s a sweet breakfast treat!
Ingredients for a Sour Cream Bundt Cake:
Bundt cakes are incredibly easy to make, in fact they are essentially pound cakes.
I decided with this Bundt cake recipe to add a few things to it to help flavor it and assist in making it moist and delicious.
Adding sour cream to a Bundt cake significantly helps to moisten it up and provide some interesting flavor profiles.
A huge part to the success of the Bundt cake lies in the flour you use. I’m a Bob’s Red Mill guy, and their pastry flour is amazing!
It is jam packed with protein making it ideal for cake making. Honestly, it’s the best!
The other flour I used was Bob’s Red Mill Almond flour because I wanted to add in some amazing almond flavor to compliment the caramel that is going on top. Yeah, it’s good!
I also used a bit of Amaretto to help further push that almond agenda :-).
How to Make a Sour Cream Bundt Cake:
Making a sour cream Bundt cake all starts with creaming together your fat and sugar.
Once the butter is a little light and fluffy, which usually takes about 5 minutes or so, you then add in 1 egg at a time until it’s mixed.
While all those delicious things are mixing add your dry ingredients to a bowl and mix, and then you alternate your dry ingredients with the remaining wet ingredients ending with wet.
Steps to Making a Bundt Cake:
- Step 1: Cream together butter and sugars.
- Step 2: Add in 1 egg at a time until combined.
- Step 3: Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Step 4: Alternate adding dry ingredients and wet ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar ending with wet ingredients.
- Step 5: Transfer the batter to a Bundt cake and bake.
- Step 6: Make your caramel sauce.
- Step 7: Pour the caramel sauce over top of the cooled Bundt cake and serve.
Making a Homemade Caramel Sauce:
Now because I need a runnier caramel sauce to pour over the Bundt cake we are going to add in some evaporated milk.
I know, it sounds weird but it’s also going to help stabilized it a little bit. Homemade caramel is super easy to make in general.
Homemade caramel consists of brown sugar, butter and heavy cream, that’s it. In a simpler form sugar and butter but man I’ve burned that version way too many times.
Serving a Sour Cream Bundt Cake:
There’s not much to serving up a Bundt cake, other than pouring the homemade caramel sauce over top.
Just simply slice and serve and you are good to go!
My Best Breakfast Recipes:
Here are a few of my favorite breakfast recipes.
- Gravlax Recipe
- Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Brioche Bread Recipe
- Strawberry Blueberry and Banana Oat Smoothie
- Chilaquiles with Eggs and Chicken for Breakfast
Sour Cream Bundt Cake Recipe with Caramel Sauce
For the Bundt Cake:
- 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Pastry Flour
- 1 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of amaretto
For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of evaporated milk
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Add the butter and sugars to a standing mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next, add in 1 egg at a time until combined on medium speed.
- In a separate medium size bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients on low speed into the creamed butter and sugar until combined. Next, add in the sour cream followed up by adding in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- lastly, mix in the vanilla and amaretto until combined.
- Transfer the batter to a 10 cup Bundt pan and bake at 325° for 60 70 minutes or until browned and firm.
- Cool completely too room temperature on a cooling rack, then remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving plate or tray.
- Caramel: Add all of the ingredients to a medium size pot and mix over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Pour the caramel over top of the cooled bundt cake.