Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published December 12, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Bundt cake recipe is loaded with sour cream, almonds, and amaretto and is topped off with a homemade caramel sauce for an unbelievable flavor.
Bundt cakes are great to eat as a snack, breakfast, and after-meal dessert. To satisfy your sweet tooth, check out how to make my Strawberry Shortcake or Funfetti Cake.
Bundt Cake is a simple cake recipe baked in a bundt-style pan. There is nothing overly special about the cake itself, although I use sour cream to help keep it moist.
A bundt pan, also known as a tube pan, is curved with fluted sides. It’s an alternative way to help decorate an otherwise simple cake recipe. Any style of cake, even pound cake, can be cooked in this particular pan, and it is noted to ensure every ridge and crevice is greased before adding in the batter.
- Flour – I used pastry flour, or cake flour, in this recipe. If you do not have access to cake flour, mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Almond Flour – You will need finely ground almond flour, also known as an almond meal.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar and powdered sugar will be needed for this cake.
- Eggs – You will need large eggs, and they can be at refrigerator or room temperature.
- Leavening Agents – I used a combination of baking powder and baking soda in this bundt cake.
- Sour Cream – Adding sour cream to it significantly helps moisten it up and provides interesting flavor profiles.
- Liquor – I used Amaretto, an almond liquor, to enhance the almond flavor further.
- Flavorings – You can use vanilla extract or the seeds from one fresh vanilla bean.
How to Make a Bundt Cake
Cream together butter and sugars.
Add 1 egg at a time until combined.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar, ending with wet ingredients.
Transfer the batter to a Bundt pan and bake.
Make your caramel sauce.
Dust with confectioners sugar and drizzle on the caramel sauce over top of the cooled to room temperature cake and serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this cake up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep the bundt cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator for 1 day before slicing and serving.
chef notes + Tips
- Feel free to dust the cake with powdered sugar at the end.
- For more almond flavor, replace the vanilla extract with almond extract.
- You can also substitute sour cream for cream cheese.
- Any flavor of ice cream is a great addition when serving this.
More Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Bundt Cake Recipe
For the Bundt Cake:
- 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups Pastry Flour
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of amaretto
For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of evaporated milk
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Add the butter and sugars to a standing mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next, add 1 egg at a time until combined on medium speed.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together both of the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients on low speed into the creamed butter and sugar until combined. Next, add in the sour cream, followed up by adding in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- lastly, mix in the vanilla and amaretto until combined.
- Transfer the batter to a 10-cup Bundt pan and bake at 325° for 60 70 minutes or until browned and firm.
- Cool completely to room temperature on a cooling rack, remove the cake from the pan, and place it on a serving plate or tray.
- Caramel: Add all ingredients to a medium-size pot and mix over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the top of the cooled bundt cake.
So I made the Bundt cake I used mascarpone cheese and Kahlúa instead!! Trying for a tiramisu vibe!! Buttered every nook and cranny… I purchased this gorgeous Bundt pan from Nordic ware, which is the one you use, clearly …which reminds me of a Pandora…. It did not come out as planned!! I will definitely make it again. It is so delicious with the mascarpone and the Kahlúa and I used the Italian powdered vanilla!
I imagine it’s just as good with cream cheese or sour cream and any liquor… enjoying the mess, but will try again with the baking spray.🙏 Enjoying your recipes …Grazie!
I am making this cake this weekend, do you think I could substitute Frangelico Hazelnut for the Amaretto??
Can I make this in buntlet pan?
You probably could but the baking time would obviously change and without testing it myself I can’t really give you a concrete answer.
Will this work in a loaf pan?
The bundt pan doesn’t need to be sprayed? Maybe I need to invest in a new bundt pan because mine sticks. What should I look for when I buy another pan?
Mine is just a non-stick, you can spray yours if you need to, no problem.
Yum! Made it today and added 1 jar of Bakers poppysed filling to the batter before baking.
Oh great, so happy this worked out for you!!
I will be making this cake for Christmas! Can’t wait!
This Bundt Cake is gorgeous!! Perfect for holiday parties
thank you so much!
I think bundt cakes are underrated. They’re so beautiful, even without all of the frosting and such!
Totally agree, so easy to make and always so delicious!
Perfect holiday cake!
Thank you so much!