Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published February 9, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious few-ingredient chocolate whipped cream recipe comes together in minutes and is an excellent topping for any dessert. You will love how simple this is to prepare and just how tasty it is.
If you love making desserts and want something to put this chocolate whipped cream on, try serving it on my Chocolate Cheesecake or my Torta Caprese.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
Chocolate whipped cream is a simple sweet topping consisting of heavy whipping cream, sugar, and cocoa powder that is vigorously whipped until stiff peaks have formed. This procedure can be done by hand using a whisk, an electric hand mixer, or a stand mixer.
This recipe is an easy-to-make addition to enhance simple desserts like cakes or cupcakes. It can be used as a frosting or even as a filling. Feel free to customize this recipe to your liking.
- Whipping Cream – Use cold full-fat heavy whipping cream. Do not use just “whipping cream.” It needs to be heavy.
- Sugar – Any regular granulated sugar will work. If using powdered or confectioners’ sugar, double the amount.
- Vanilla – I know this seems counterintuitive, but this will add a lot of flavor to the chocolate whipped cream
- Chocolate – Use a good cocoa powder for this.
How to Make a Chocolate-Whipped Cream
Add the cold cream to a clean stand mixing bowl fixed with the whisk attachment.
Pour in the sugar. Add in the vanilla extract.
Next, sprinkle in the cocoa powder.
Whip medium to high speed for 2-4 minutes or until stiff peaks have formed and served.
How to Stabilize Whipped Cream
There are a few ways to make stabilized whipped cream, but the most common would be to use gelatin. Here are those quick procedures:
Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over the top of cold water in a small bowl.
Stir until combined and let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
Heat in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or until the mixture has combined and is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
Make your whipped cream, and while it gets thick, slowly add in your gelatin mixture until combined and finish mixing until stiff peaks are formed.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time or three days ahead of time if stabilizing with gelatin.
How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Start the mixer on low speed to move the ingredients before turning the speed up. Doing this will ensure the cream is shooting out of the mixer everywhere.
- I like to keep my cream in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before putting it in the stand mixer.
- You can whip this by hand using a whisk or an electric hand mixer.
- This is good to eat with fresh berries in case you don’t want to make a special dessert to put it on.
More Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons cold water
- 1 ½ tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- Heat up 1 1/2 tablespoons of water with 1 teaspoon of gelatin in a microwave-safe bowl and sit until bloomed or thick.
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until the mixture has combined and is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the cold cream to a clean stand mixing bowl fixed with the whisk attachment.
- Pour in the sugar.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Next, sprinkle in the cocoa powder.
- Whip on medium to high speed for about 2
- Slowly add in your gelatin mixture until combined, and finish mixing until stiff peaks are formed, which takes an additional 2 to 3 minutes.