Torta Caprese Recipe is a delicious flourless cake loaded with chocolate and almonds for an unbelievably rich decadent dessert.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill. The opinions and text are all mine.
If you’re a chocolate lover, then this Torta Caprese recipe is the ultimate dessert for you. In addition, this cake is gluten-free so go ahead and take a huge slice!
WHAT IS IT
Essentially a torta caprese is a flourless almond and chocolate cake. As you know I’ve been on this tear to find the most authentic versions of recipes out there, and since I’ve made a ton of savory dishes, I figured it was time to make something sweet because I think the French Silk Pie was my last dessert.
While doing my research I learned that this classic cake really has an undocumented history. No one can actually pin point when the torta caprese was invented although they say it came from a baker in the 1920’s who lived on the island of Capri and ran out of flour or forget to put flour in it his chocolate cake came out with a torta caprese. Not sure I’m buying that one but ok.
Now, if I had to guess it probably did come from somewhere near the island of Capri because other names for this are a capri cake or a caprese cake. Caprese, Capri, got it?
In addition to this theory, the almond is an absolute staple in both Italy and Sicily so I actually think this torta caprese was made with intention, because it is way to good to have been created on a whim. Now I’m not saying that this can’t happen, but to me it seems unlikely.
HOW TO MAKE IT
It was interesting when researching this torta caprese and the methodology that was most commonly used by folks that live in that area. In America we have some baking procedures where you put 1 thing in at a time until mixed, or mixing dry separate from wet, etc. The recipe procedures were very interesting to me and after making it, I completely get why they did it they way the did.
In any recipe quality ingredients are essential, so when I saw this torta caprese recipe called for Bob’s Red Mill, I immediately knew I would use their Super Fine Almond Flour.
Everything of Bob’s is incredibly high in quality and always perfect in the flavor department, so in order to do my ancestors from Italy justice, Bob’s is on the list to make that happen!
The procedures for this were so interesting and are as followed:
- STEP 1: Whip egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks and chill.
- STEP 2: Melt chocolate and set aside.
- STEP 3: Whip butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add 1 egg at a time until combined.
- STEP 4: Fold in almond flour until combined, then fold in chocolate until combined.
- STEP 5: Fold in merengue until combined.
- STEP 6: Add in a prepared pan and bake.
As you can see there is a bit going on with a recipe that has such few ingredients.
That alone made me wonder what was up with this torta caprese recipe, but you see this cake could most likely fall pretty easily while baking so keeping cool and folding in a lot of the ingredients would be key to not over mixing and keeping it more on the cool side.
Honestly, it made me think that I could apply this torta caprese recipe process to other cake recipes to help keep it from falling.
Consider me sold! This cake is really delicious and is one my new faves, but still I’m sucker for my croissant bread pudding with zabaglione recipe.
Torta Caprese Recipe (Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake)
- 6 eggs eggs and whites separated
- 225 grams or 8 ounces of sugar
- 280 grams or 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 280 grams or 10 ounces softened unsalted butter
- 340 grams or 12 ounces Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add the egg whites along with ½ of the sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip on high speed until stiff peaks are formed, about 6 to 7 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Put the chocolate into a glass or metal bowl and cook over a double boiler until completely melted. Set aside.
- Add the butter and remaining sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in 1 egg at a time to the mixer until combined until all the eggs have been incorporated.
- Remove the bowl form the stand mixer and fold in the almond flour until combined, then fold in the chocolate until combined.
- Lastly fold in the chilled meringue until combined.
- Prepare a 10” springform pan with butter and cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350° 40 to 42 minutes.
- Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.