Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published August 24, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Torta Caprese Recipe is a delicious flourless cake loaded with chocolate and almonds for an unbelievably rich, decadent dessert.
If you’re a chocolate lover, then this Torta Caprese recipe is the ultimate dessert for you. In addition, this cake is gluten-free, so go ahead and take a huge slice. If you are looking for other desserts to try out, then check out my Carrot Cake or Lava Cake.
Torta Caprese is a flourless chocolate cake with almonds. It was said to be invented by a baker in the 1920s who lived on the island of Capri and ran out of flour or forgot, to put flour in it his chocolate cake came out with a torta Caprese.
The almond is an absolute staple in Italy and Sicily, so I think this Torta Caprese was made with intention because it is way too good to have been created on a whim.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Eggs – You will only need the egg whites for this recipe.
- Sugar – Both granulated and powdered sugar will be used.
- Chocolate – Use good bittersweet chocolate in this torta Caprese cake.
- Butter – Always use unsalted butter so you can control the salt content.
- Almond Flour – any good finely ground almond flour will work. This is also called an almond meal.
How to Make a Torta Caprese
Whip egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks in a stand mixer and chill.
Melt the dark chocolate and set it aside.
Whip butter and sugar until light, and fluffy then add 1 egg at a time until combined.
Fold in almond flour until combined, then fold in the chocolate mixture until combined.
Fold in meringue until combined.
Add in a prepared pan and bake. Coole completely to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this cake up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This will freeze covered for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator for 1 day before slicing and serving.
How to Serve: Pull the cake out and let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature before serving.
chef notes + Tips
- If you like a sweet cake, you can use milk chocolate instead.
- You will need a springform pan for this recipe.
More Dessert Recipes
Torta Caprese Recipe (Chocolate Almond Flourless Cake)
- 6 eggs, eggs and whites separated
- 225 grams or 8 ounces of sugar
- 280 grams or 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 280 grams or 10 ounces softened unsalted butter
- 340 grams super-fine almond flour
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add the egg whites and ½ of the sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip on high speed until stiff peaks are formed, about 6 to 7 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Put the chocolate into a glass or metal bowl and cook over a double boiler until completely melted. Set aside.
- Add the butter and remaining sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 egg yolk at a time to the mixer until combined until all the eggs have been incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the almond flour until combined, then fold in the chocolate until combined.
- Lastly, fold in the chilled meringue until combined.
- Prepare a 10” springform pan with butter and cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350° for 40 to 42 minutes.
- Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.