If you’re a meat lover, this braised beef short ribs recipe served over creamy Yukon gold mashed potatoes is the perfect fall-off-the-bone recipe!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Thrive Algae Oil. The opinions and text are all mine.
For the longest time, braised beef short ribs were hands down my favorite meal of all time.
It was a sure guarantee that if a restaurant had it on the menu, I was going to order it.
There is just something about super flavorful meaty fall-off-the-bone braised short beef that is impossible to pass up.
Short ribs are most commonly served up over some creamy polenta or mashed potatoes but since I just recently made some classic veal osso bucco with gremolata over polenta, I went with mashed potatoes this time and it did not disappoint.
Searing Short Ribs:
To me one of the most important parts of braising short ribs is in the sear.
It is vital that those short ribs be perfectly golden brown on all sides before you add in your braising liquid.
If you didn’t sear them then you are pretty much just boiling meat, which is weird and just wrong.
To properly sear short ribs you need a hot pan and of course some oil.
In the past month or so whenever I need oil to help cook or use in a homemade vinaigrette I’ve been using Thrive Algae Oil.
Thrive Algae Oil is an incredibly neutral-flavored oil that is made from sustainable on land algae fermentation tanks and boasts the highest amount of monounsaturated fats and lowest amount of saturated fats compared to other oils
Probably my favorite part about Thrive Algae Oil is it’s smoking point is up to 485°.
You want those braised short ribs, or that t-bone or whole chicken to be perfectly golden brown every time?
Of course you do, so that starts with a high smoking point oil like Thrive algae oil.
So once the oil begins to lightly smoke, add in those seasoned braised short ribs, turn the heat down to medium and take the time to brown them on all sides.
Yes, I said all sides in case you missed it.
That caramelization on the braised short rib enhances the flavor of it significantly so if you aren’t golden brown on that short rib, wait and cook it until it is.
Braising Beef Short Ribs:
Braising is one of my favorite cooking methods because it allows you to get the best of both worlds.
Delicious caramelized golden-brown food that is tender all the way to the core.
Before slow cookers were around, you braised things which is just as easy with the same amount of control.
Don’t get me wrong I like slow cookers, but I’m also a bit of traditionalist when it comes to cooking.
Once those beef short ribs and vegetables are golden brown and coated in tomato paste you then want to deglaze with some red wine.
The wine will provide a ton of body and flavor to this beef short ribs recipe and make it that much richer.
After the wine is added, add in some good beef stock, hopefully you have some homemade lying around but if not it’s still all good.
Now here comes the second most important part to this braised beef short ribs recipe, seasoning the braising liquid.
The braising liquid is what will further enhance and flavor your braised beef short ribs so you have to season it well with salt and pepper so that when the short ribs are cooking it the liquid that penetrates it will be completely full flavored.
This portion is so crucial so don’t forget it.
In addition to the salt and pepper, I usually finish off the braising liquid and the braised beef short ribs with some diced tomatoes, bay leaves, fresh thyme sprigs and Italian parsley.
These things will also help add flavor to the braised beef short ribs and round it out a bit for balance.
Add the top onto the pot, bring it down to a low simmer and cook for about 2 ½ to 3 hours for a delicious fall-off-the-bone braised beef short rib recipe!
Mashed Golden Yukon Potatoes:
There really is no trick here, just make sure to not over-boil them and then add in whatever you want to help make them creamy.
You can add in some more Thrive Algae Oil, butter, sour cream, heavy cream, cheese, you name it you can do it.
I usually use a hand masher to mash the golden Yukon potatoes because I like them slightly chunky.
Types of Short Ribs Recipe:
- boneless short ribs recipe
- pork short ribs
- bbq short ribs recipe
- smoked short ribs recipe
Serve up your delicious braised beef short ribs over a huge pile of cream mashed Yukon gold potatoes!
If you love this braised beef short rib recipe then you will love these other beef recipes!
- Flank Steak Tacos Recipe
- Texas Style Chili with Slow Cooked Brisket
- Bistecca Alla Fiorentina
- Classic Lasagna Bolognese
- Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese – from Vindulge
Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
For the Ribs:
- 2 pounds of beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons of Thrive Algae Oil
- 2 small diced stalks of celery
- 2 peeled and small diced carrots
- 1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 3 smashed whole garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup of red wine cabernet sauvignon or merlot
- 1 15- ounce can of diced tomatoes strained
- 48 ounces of beef stock
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 small bunch of fresh Italian parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 3 pounds of peeled golden Yukon mashed potatoes roughly cut
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt to taste
- Ribs: Season the ribs on all side with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the oil to a large braising pot over medium-high heat and once it begins to lightly smoke add in the short ribs and turn down the heat to medium. Brown the ribs on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Next, remove the ribs and add the celery, carrots, onions and garlic to the pot and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it becomes a rusty color.
- Add the ribs back in the pot and deglaze with red wine.
- Pour in the beef stock, tomatoes, and add in the thyme, parsley, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Add the top to the pot and simmer over low heat for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until they fall off the bone. Keep warm.
- Mashed Potatoes: Add the potatoes to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and add back to the pot and mash with a hand masher or blender along with the butter, heavy cream, sour cream, cheese and salt until combined and creamy.
- Serve the short ribs over top of the mashed potatoes.