Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 31, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty avocado crema recipe is jam-packed with flavor and comes together in under 10 minutes for the ultimate sour cream topping. You will love this taste and want it on all your tacos after you try it.
Toppings are what help bring out and complement flavors in certain recipes. This Avocado crema is a great topping to add to Mahi Mahi tacos or Baja fish tacos for a cool refreshing taste.
Avocado crema is a thick sour cream mixed with mashed ripe avocados and citrus juice to make a flavorful topping to tacos, nachos, or other Latin-inspired recipes. You can also get creative with this recipe and other ingredients to make it have more citrus flavors or add spice by adding things like minced chipotle peppers.
This simple-to-prepare recipe is a great way to enhance the flavor of whatever you are serving and serves as an excellent upgrade to a plain sour cream.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Avocados – Use ripe avocados for this recipe.
- Crema – I like to use Mexican crema. If you cannot find this, you may use sour cream as a perfect substitute.
- Lime – This will help add some much-needed acid to the crema.
- Seasoning – sea salt and freshly cracked pepper are all you need for this.
How to Make Avocado Crema
Add the peeled and seeded avocado to a large bowl and mash using a hand masher.
Next, add in the crema, lime juice, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Serve or cover and keep cool.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep the avocado crema in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Adjust the level of acidity with lime juice.
- Feel free to add 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro for garnish and more lemon-lime flavor.
- Another way to add more flavor to this would be the addition of 1 finely minced garlic clove.
- You can also make this recipe in a food processor by adding everything in and processing at high speed until smooth.
More Sauce Recipes
Avocado Crema Recipe
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of Mexican crema
- juice of 1 lime
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Add the peeled and seeded avocado to a large bowl and mash using a hand masher.
- Next, add in the crema, lime juice, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Serve or cover and keep cool.