Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 30, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious mayonnaise-based Alabama white BBQ sauce recipe is so easy to make and goes perfectly on all barbecued and smoked food.
I am a sauce connoisseur and believe they have the capability to greatly enhance the flavor of food, especially when it comes to barbecue. If you are looking to up your sauce game then definitely check out my sweet BBQ sauce, vinegar BBQ sauce, or my mustard BBQ sauce.
White BBQ Sauce
The white BBQ sauce was created in Alabama in the early 1900s in Big Bob Gibson’s backyard. While he loved vinegar-based sauces, he loved the idea of using mayonnaise to help add fat to long smoked meats to keep them from drying out. Since mayonnaise was already a popular ingredient in the south, it made perfect sense to figure out how to use in a barbecue sauce.
Here are some of the basic ingredients in the recipe:
- Mayonnaise – a simple full-fat mayo will be perfect to provide fat and flavor to your smoked food.
- Vinegar – Either cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar will work.
- Spices – This includes garlic, onions, cayenne, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Horseradish – Use raw prepared jarred horseradish or you can grate in fresh.
How to Make BBQ Sauce from Scratch
Follow these simple instructions for making a homemade white BBQ sauce from scratch:
Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
Using a whisk, mix everything together until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 14 days. This will not freeze well.
Substitute the onion and garlic granules with powder.
This would go excellent with pork and chicken.
More Sauce Recipes
Alabama White BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons raw prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons onion granules
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
- Whisk together until it is completely smooth.
- Use or refrigerate until ready to use.