I have made it a point to bake more in 2014, and my first experiment did not disappoint! When I decided to go to culinary back when I was a wee little tike, I wanted to be a pastry chef. Little did I know after my first baking class that I didn’t quite have the patience to pursue it pastry as a full time gig, I was 18 don’t judge me :-). Anyways, I had a blast making this Poached Pear Galette Recipe with Blue Cheese Ice Cream and the flavors of the two combined were INSANE! I know Blue Cheese Ice Cream can sound a little weird to those less adventurous, but trust me it went perfectly with the Poached Pear Galette. Below I have attempted to show you through images my step by step procedures to the final product.
Poached Pear Mise en Place!
Slice the fresh vanilla bean longways.
Zest from an orange, about 1 inch by 4 inches.
Peeled D’Anjou pears.
Slice the pears in half and using a corer (tomato shark) scoop out the seeds and core from the pears.
Boil together the wine, cinnamon stick, cloves, brown sugar, granulated sugar, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla bean.
Turn the wine down to a simmer and add in the pears!
Pop a lid on it and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
When to pears are done, transfer them to a plate and place in the refrigerator until they are completely cool.
Now for the bleu cheese ice cream! Scald the cream.
Add the scaled cream to a bowl with sugar, blue cheese and…
…lemon juice and lemon zest.
After the blue cheese and cream mixture is completely cool, pour it into your ice cream machine and let it work.
It’s Galette Recipe time!
Add the flour, sugar, salt, ice cold butter and orange zest into a food processor and process for 10 seconds. Lastly, trickle in some ice cold water.
Once it is combined place it on a clean surface and form it in to a disk, do not over work. Dust both sides with flour, place it in a slider bag and rest it in the refrigerator for an hour, or…
…Roll it out right away!
Roll it out until it’s nice and flat and add it to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Right before we add in the pears, slice’em thin.
And layer them up in the center of the dough.
Make a quick egg wash, and then…
… Fold in the sides, brush the outside with the egg wash, sprinkle on some sugar in the raw, and lastly put a few chunks of butter on top of the pears. Now put this beauty in an oven on 400° for 45 minutes and BOOM! Finally our Poached Pear Galette Recipe with Blue Cheese Ice Cream is completed!
Try this amazing Poached Pear Galette Recipe with Blue Cheese Ice Cream Dessert that will wow your guests!
- 1 bottle of Merlot wine
- 2 cloves
- 1 crushed cinnamon stick
- juice of 1 orange
- 1' x 4' orange zest
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean cut longways
- 6 D'Anjou pears, peeled, cut in half and cored
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 8 ounces of cold Plugra unsalted butter cut into small chunks
- 8 ounces of ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar in the raw
- 1 quart of heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces of crumbled blue cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Poached Pears:
For the Galette:
For the Ice Cream
- Poached Pears: Add all ingredients except for the pears into a pot and boil together. Once boiled, turn the heat down and add in the pears. Place a lid on top and cook for 30 minutes. Next, remove the pears and immediately cool in the refrigerator until cold.
- Next, cook down the pear poaching wine liquid until it becomes a thick syrup. Cool once it has become thick.
- Dough Recipe: Add all of the ingredients except for the water, egg, milk, and sugar in the raw, in a food processor and process for 10 seconds. Next, slowly trickle in some ice cold water until the dough is formed and flaky.
- Place the dough on a clean surface and form a disk. At this point you can chill or roll it out.
- When the dough is rolled out, place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and then slice the chilled pears. Layer the pears in the center of the dough and then fold up all the sides.
- Next, mix together the egg and milk and using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the dough and then sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Bake in the oven on 400° for 45 minutes.
- Ice Cream: Scald the cream in a large pot and pour over the blue cheese, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and whisk until combined. Chill the mixture until completely cool and then pour it into your ice cream maker and follow the instructions.
- To Serve: Serve the Poached Pear Galette with the Blue Cheese Ice Cream and merlot sauce.