Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published May 10, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This truffle butter recipe is jam-packed with delicious truffle flavor and will complement anything you add. You will not believe how intense the flavors are in this simple-to-prepare butter.
What is a Truffle?
Truffles are fungus that grows 3 to 12 inches underground near the roots of trees. There are two main kinds of truffles, black and white. Black truffles, known as black diamonds, are found in France, while white truffles are indigenous to Italy’s Piedmont region.
They have a unique earthy gamy flavor and are usually shaved thin when served. Truffles can be served raw or cooked.
Truffle butter is a whipped compound butter infused with white and black truffles and oil to enhance the flavor. You will likely need to purchase some ingredients online or at a specialty retail shop.
White truffle oil and black truffle peelings can be expensive. However, this butter is incredibly rich, and a little bit goes a long way. In addition, one of the great benefits of any compound butter is that they freeze well and can be used straight from the freezer in your recipes.
- Butter – Use softened unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Truffle Peelings – I found a small jar of black truffle peelings that I chopped up and added to the butter for flavor, texture, and aesthetics. You can purchase some here.
- Chives – Some finely minced fresh chives will add some nice onion flavor and a hint of green to the butter.
- Truffle Oil – Any white truffle-infused oil will work.
- Seasoning – You will only need salt and pepper to flavor it.
How to Make Truffle Butter
Add your softened butter to a stand mixer and whip with the paddle attachment on high speed for 5-7 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
Next, add the chopped truffle peelings, truffle oil, chives, salt, and pepper and mix at low speed for 1-2 minutes until incorporated and then use.
Use it or store it.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 5 days ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to use it.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 7 days. Cover and freeze for up to 6 months.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can use this butter directly from the freezer in whatever you want to use it in.
- Add acids like citrus juice or vinegar to enhance the flavor.
- You can use other fresh herbs such as parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, chervil, or rosemary.
- I prefer if the truffle oil is olive oil based.
More Butter Recipes
Truffle Butter Recipe
- 1 pound softened unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped black truffle peelings
- 2 ounces white truffle oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add your softened butter to a stand mixer and whip with the paddle attachment on high speed for 5-7 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Next, add the chopped truffle peelings, truffle oil, chives, salt, and pepper and mix at low speed for 1-2 minutes until incorporated and then use.
- Use it or store it.