Learn how to make the perfect baked potato every single time while making it salt-crusted and crispy on the outside and deliciously tender on the inside.
A baked potato is one of the most basic things to cook. It is essential that a potato is baked in the oven until it is crisp on the outside and cooked and tender in the middle. There are several ways to bake a potato believe it or not, and heck I’ve even seen people cook it in the microwave, although I don’t advise doing that.
Here are a few things you do not need to do when baking a potato:
- Pierce with a fork – doing this is supposed to allow air to escape so that it does not explode. Doing this can dry out your potato while the chances of it exploding are very low.
- Wrap in foil – This is not needed when baking it and doing so will cause you to lose out on the outer crisp skin.
Making it Salted
I truly believe the way to achieve the best-baked potato is by salting it. It’s a simple process of coating it in olive oil and salt and baking it. This will ensure the entire potato is seasoned from the outside in. I really like salt as I believe it enhances the flavor of food to another level, but if you don’t like it as much, no problem as you can brush quite a bit of it off after it is done baking.
How to Make Baked Potatoes
Follow these simple instructions for making the perfect baked potato:
Wash the them on all sides and dry with a towel.
Coat each potato in a bowl of salted olive oil until it is completely coated.
Place the salted baked potato on a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 375° for 60 minutes.
Chef Notes Recipes + Tips
Make-Ahead: These are meant to be eaten within an hour of making them.
How to Reheat – Place them in a pan or on a metal tray and bake in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes or until warmed. Likewise, you can microwave it until warm.
How to Store: Cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These do not freeze that well, so I advise against it.
If you have a lot of leftover baked potatoes, they are excellent for making hash browns.
You do not have to salt the potatoes at all, but I do advise you to at least coat in oil before baking.
More Potato Recipes
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- 5 large baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Rinse the baked potatoes until cold water and rub with your hands to remove any dirt. Dry with a towel.
- Mix together the oil and salt in a medium-size bowl until combined.
- Taking one potato at a time add it to the bowl and completely coat it in the oil and salt.
- Place the potatoes once coated onto a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 375° for 60 minutes.
- When they are done cooking serve whole, or slice in the center and push the outsides to the middle and serve.