If you’ve ever wondered How to Make Scalloped Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese then you’ve come to the right place. Similar to that of it’s more fatty counterpart potatoes dauphinoise, scalloped potatoes have no cream in them which makes them a little healthier to eat. In face you could make them as healthy as you want by even replacing the small pads of butter I put in between each layer with olive oil or even coconut oil if you are really looking to keep anything unhealthy down. I’ve always been in the mindset that anything in moderation is ok. However this is a lifestyle that would encourage exercise as well :-).
I work with a ton of companies creating recipes through imagery and videos, and I have been swamped for the past 15 months or so with work which I am just so thankful for. However it is has taken away time for me to create recipes on my own that I’ve been wanting to make like this one for How to Make Scalloped Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese. So without further ado, let’s walk through the steps.
The first thing is slice up your potatoes. They need to be pretty thin so if you’ve got some decent knife skills then you can absolutely do this with a knife. If your slicing skills aren’t quite there yet then I would recommend grabbing a mandolin or something to help slice. Oh yeah, don’t forget to peel them also! A good recommendation would be to place the sliced potatoes in a bowl or container of cold water so they don’t turn brown on you, just before to drain them of when it comes time to cook.
Now it’s time to layer them up. I simply overlapped each potato slice around the outside of a 10″ cast iron skillet working my way to the center. Once I got there I shredded some fresh parmesan cheese all over the top followed up by a few small pads of unsalted butter and lastly of course with Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Repeat that exact same method and layer it up 3 to 4 more times or until it’s to the very top of your cast iron skillet. On the very top layer I added a bit more cheese just so it could brown a bit more while in the oven. Now, simply cook them at 400° for 45 to 55 minutes or until the potatoes on top are golden brown and the potatoes are soft. If you must pull a potato slice out from the middle a few layers down to make sure. Nothing worse than a hard undercooked potato.
Once it’s done it should have a nice brown crust on top and the cheese should be completely melted. Now you can simply serve it up in the cast iron skillet with a spoon or transfer it to a plate, your call.
One last picture of top to see how pretty it is. Don’t forget to pin all these pictures to save the recipe for later!
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese
- 5 peeled and thinly sliced russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter cut into small chunks
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Once the potatoes are sliced overlap them in a 10" cast iron skillet around the outside working your way to the center, kind of like fanning them.
- Next, add on 1/3 cup of cheese, 1 tablespoon of cut up butter and then season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 more layers just like the bottom one but finish the top layer with a 1/2 cup of the shredded parmesan cheese instead of a 1/3 cup like the other layers.
- Bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown on top and cooked throughout.
- Serve hot!