This Mulligatawny Soup Recipe that is loaded with apples, chicken and curry for an unbelievably delicious recipe that is sure to be a family favorite.
Mulligatawny soup is such a comforting soup to make during those fall winter months. With it’s interesting combination of flavors, it’s definitely one of a kind and perfect to serve up during the week to your family or as a recipe to impress your guests by if throwing a party.
Like any soup, Mulligatawny is a one pot recipe and if you ask me tastes even better over time as flavors begin to infuse and come out.
WHAT IS MULLIGATAWNY SOUP OF
In it’s simplest form Mulligatawny is an apple, chicken and curry soup recipe.
While Mulligatawny soup has adapted to include more ingredients, at its heart it is simple and delicious and definitely a staple on most Indian restaurant’s menus. Here are some other ingredients:
- Coconut milk
- Bell peppers
- Sweet potatoes
- Chicken stock
CHEF NOTE: Mulligatawny can also be completely vegetarian with no protein in it.
WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
Mulligatawny soup is a classic Indian recipe originally called Tammil, which means pepper water, that was later anglicized and turned into what we know it as today. It’s still incredibly popular in India and has spread throughout western Europe and into the United States.
- CHEF NOTE: Some believe that the soup was created in England by Indian immigrants.
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP FLAVOR
Mulligatawny soup has incredibly flavors that come out the second you eat it. The strong savory red curry, the sweetness from the apples, and the tropical creamy finish from the coconut milk make it absolutely delicious
There is definitely some complexity in the flavor of Mulligatawny soup with curry, since it consists of so many different ingredients. If you are love the balance of flavors and ingredients in food, then this mulligatawny is absolutely for you.
HOW TO MAKE MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
When making this Mulligatawny Soup Recipe you can either cook and cut up the chicken breasts yourself or you can use rotisserie chicken. There’s a lot going on in this Mulligatawny soup with ingredients and I want it to be as easy as possible for you so you can focus more on getting this in your belly and less on working so hard in the kitchen.
It’s important to roast all of the vegetables so they can help bring out as much flavor in this mulligatawny soup recipe as possible before adding in the curry and apples.
- CHEF NOTE: If you add the apples in too early to the mulligatawny soup they’ll get mushy, so don’t do it! Also if you want to use our own homemade curry, have at it!
COOKING MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
Here’s how easy it is to cook Mulligatawny soup:
- STEP 1: Add sesame oil to a large pot over medium heat and brown the vegetables. This should take 12-15 minutes.
- STEP 2: After the veggies are browned, add in the apples, cooked chicken and curry and cook for a few minutes.
- STEP 3: Pour in the stock and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes to get all of the flavors infused.
- STEP 4: Thicken the soup using a slurry, i.e. 3 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
- CHEF NOTE: You can also use a roux to thicken this mulligatawny.
- STEP 5: Finish the soup with cilantro, coconut milk, salt and pepper and serve
SERVING MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
Once the mulligatawny soup recipe is finished it’s time to serve it up into single serving bowls. I like to finish mulligatawny soup off with some creme fraiche or sour cream, goat cheese, croutons and sliced chives. I just think these garnishes help to add some more body as well as some texture to the recipe, plus who doesn’t like chives?
I really hope you get a chance to make this mulligatawny soup recipe because wow is it just so good. If you want to really kick this up, then make my Homemade Pita Bread Recipe and serve it alongside it!
MORE SOUP RECIPES
If this mulligatawny soup recipe hit the spot then be sure to check out these other soup recipes!
- Texas Style Chili Recipe with Slow Cooked Brisket
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Pork Confit and Split Pea Soup
- Ham and Lentil Soup
- Verde Pork Posole
- Turkey Meatball Soup – from Jessica Gavin
REHEATING YOUR MULLIGATAWNY SOUP: To reheat the mulligatawny soup simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot and heat over low heat until hot. Serve with garnishes. You can also simply add your desired portion to microwave safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
STORING AND FREEZING MULLIGATAWNY SOUP: Mulligatawny soup will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 4 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.
*If you love this authentic Mulligatawny soup then my Homemade Naan Bread is a must try, and be sure to drop me a comment below and a rating if you’ve had the chance to make this amazing mulligatawny soup recipe*
Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 3 peeled and small diced carrots
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 1 small diced red bell pepper seeds removed
- 1 small diced green bell pepper seeds removed
- 3 peeled and small diced sweet potatoes
- 5 peeled and diced fuji apples
- 4 tablespoons of yellow curry powder
- 3 8- ounce cooked and diced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 96 ounces of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of corn starch whisked with 2 tablespoons of water
- 15 ounce can of coconut milk
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: creme fraiche, goat cheese, croutons, chopped chives
- In a large hot pot, add in sesame oil and saute the garlic, onions, carrots, celery, peppers and sweet potatoes.
- Once the vegetables are browned add in the apples, curry powder and chicken breasts and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once spices are infused in the vegetables, add in stock and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling whisk in the cornstarch-water combination to thicken it.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finish with cilantro, coconut milk and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with optional garnishes.
- Mulligatawny can also be completely vegetarian with no protein in it.
- If you add the apples in too early to the mulligatawny soup they'll get mushy, so don't do it! Also if you want to use our own homemade curry, have at it!
- You can also use a roux to thicken this mulligatawny.
- REHEATING YOUR MULLIGATAWNY SOUP: To reheat the mulligatawny soup simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot and heat over low heat until hot. Serve with garnishes. You can also simply add your desired portion to microwave safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15. STORING AND FREEZING MULLIGATAWNY SOUP: Mulligatawny soup will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 4 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.