Whether your at a small family or friend get together or you’re just looking for something to munch on during a movie or a game, this Loaded Cowboy Queso Dip Recipe with Pinto Beans is ridiculously delicious! It’s packed with ground beef, chorizo, bacon, homemade salsa, and pinto beans!
I was just saying to my wife the other day that the opening weekend of March Madness may be the greatest weekend of the year. While I love Christmas, Easter and the Big Game, I have to admit that this first weekend is so incredibly fun because it’s not just a 1-day thing. Nope, it’s an amazing tournament that lasts about 3 weeks and the first weekend combines to showcase 48 games.
I mean if you are a college sports fan then there is nothing greater! With all of these games comes a whole lot of hanging with friends and of course food, so I decided to whip up my Loaded Cowboy Queso Dip Recipe that has always been a fan favorite!
One of the things that I love about this dip is it is really easy to prepare, and it is loaded with flavor. It’s definitely one of those recipes where it’s beyond impossible to eat just 1 bite. If you notice in the video, I prepare it in a cast iron skillet, however if you’re crazy busy setting up for these weekends packed with games then you can absolutely cook and hold this in your slow cooker. In addition, if you want to simplify this recipe even more because you are super strapped for time you can replace the fresh salsa that I made with a store bought one, totally up to you!
It’s different than your typical queso dip recipe because it’s packed with meat and beans. I loaded up this up with crisp cooked bacon, spicy chorizo sausage and ground beef, so yeah it’s filled with meat! For the beans, I used Pinto Beans because of the incredible flavor they offer up as well as their perfect pairing with things like bacon and chorizo. “Pinto” is the Spanish word for “painted,” which perfectly describes these speckled beans (well, they’re speckled before they’re cooked).
Once you’ve cooked all of your protein you then want to add in your cheese and cook it over low heat until it’s melted, or if you are using a slow cooker simply set it to low. I used an orange prepared pasteurized cheese product but if you want to turn this dip into a white queso dip then you can actually use a big chunk of white American cheese! The flavor differences are subtle; however it will be a nice bright white dip loaded with delicious colorful veggies.
I’m a college sports nut so while I love this time of year, I also get a little bit sad knowing it’s coming to an end. I know, I’m one of those crazed fans, but I can’t think of too many events where you can get together with friends and family and eat delicious food and have a great time. Hope you digit!
Loaded Cowboy Queso Dip Recipe with Pinto Beans
- 8 slices of roughly chopped bacon
- ½ pound of loose chorizo sausage
- ½ pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of prepared pasteurized cheese product
- ½ pound of cream cheese
- ½ pound of shredded white cheddar
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 15- ounce can of BUSH'S® Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- ½ peeled and small diced red onion
- ½ cup of sliced green onions
- 1 seeded and small diced jalapeño
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Add the bacon to a 12" cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook until crispy.
- Once cooked set the bacon aside and cook the chorizo sausage in the bacon fat until it is cooked throughout.
- Next, add in the beef to the pan with the chorizo and cook it until it is cooked through.
- Add in all of the cheeses and mix over low heat until melted.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beans, red onion, green onions, jalapeño, cooked bacon and cilantro and mix until combined.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until hot and slightly browned on top.