Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 30, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious homemade teriyaki sauce recipe is incredibly easy to make and goes perfect in stir-fry recipes or tossed with chicken, beef, pork, or vegetables.
I am always looking to take my food over the top with a delicious complimenting sauce recipe. If you’re looking to expand your sauce recipe list, then definitely check out my comeback sauce or pesto.
Teriyaki sauce is a delicious syrup-like sauce that is often used in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. It’s said that teriyaki sauce was created by Japanese immigrants in Hawaii who used a combination of pineapple, soy sauce, and brown sugar to make it. Today there are several variations as well as ethnicities that have their own version of teriyaki sauce.
The sauce is most used when to toss with protein and vegetables and served over rice or noodles. Here are the most basic ingredients for teriyaki sauce:
- Soy Sauce: The everyday sauce is good to use, but you can also use a combination of dark and light soy sauce.
- Sake: Any sake will work fine.
- Mirin: This sweetened rice cooking wine will provide great flavor for this sauce.
- Honey: I prefer this as a sweetener, however sugar or brown sugar can be used.
How to Make Teriyaki Sauce
Use these easy step-by-step instructions for making this homemade teriyaki sauce recipe from scratch:
Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Whisk everything until it is completely combined and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 weeks ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. The sauce will need to be brought to a boil before using if you freeze it.
chef notes + tips
- You can add garlic, ginger, onion, and/or rice vinegar to this recipe to further enhance the flavor.
- If using cane sugar or brown sugar as a substitute for honey, you will need to cook the ingredients over low heat while whisking until the sugar is dissolved.
- Feel free to replace the mirin with sherry wine.
- If you can’t get sake substitute for equal parts vodka and water.
More Sauce Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- 1 ½ cups soy sauce
- ¾ cup mirin
- 1 cup sake
- ¾ cup honey
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk everything until it is completely combined and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Good to put on beef and noodles.
This is awesome because the stores around here are often out of teriyaki.
Absolutely delicious. I followed recipe exactly as written and added garlic. Used it to make chicken teriyaki.