Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 21, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade cocktail sauce is so incredibly easy to make and infinitely better when making it yourself to serve up to your family and guests.
It’s very important to me, to know the ingredients you’re working with, which is why I started shopping at this alternative small family-owned online store where I can pronounce and know every single ingredient in it. I think you might like this store too, and if you want, give it a try by clicking this link.
Cocktail sauce has been around since the early 20th century as according to cookbooks, a tasty spicy tomato-based sauce was often served up with oysters and shrimp. In the United States, the term “cocktail” became popularized when marrying it with food because oftentimes the food was served up in cocktail-style glasses and at cocktail lounges, which is why cocktail shrimp is so often served up in glasses with a stem.
Here is what a typical cocktail sauce is made of:
- Ketchup: This acts as the base of the recipe and any ketchup brand will do.
- Chili Sauce: A bottled sauce that is tomato-based but has other spices and vegetables in it.
- Horseradish: Most often raw prepared horseradish is used, but fresh grated will work as well.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This salty umami sauce adds a lot of flavor to a cocktail sauce.
- Hot Sauce: Any hot sauce will work for this recipe, but I most often use Tabasco.
How to Make Cocktail Sauce from Scratch
Use these simple step-by-step instructions to make a homemade cocktail sauce recipe from scratch:
Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
Whisk until everything is completely combined and keep cool in the refrigerator until it is ready to serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This will freeze ok covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
chef notes + tips
- Creamy horseradish will not work in this recipe.
- If you do not have access to chili sauce, replace the ingredient amount with ketchup.
- Raw horseradish can be used but add it in to taste as it is spicier than jarred prepared.
More Sauce Recipes
Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup raw prepared horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
- Whisk together everything until it is completely combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.