Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 21, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade cocktail sauce is so incredibly easy to make and infinitely better when making it yourself to serve up to your family and guests.
There is nothing like a tasty sauce to compliment the main entrée with. If you love sauces as much as we do, then you should absolutely check out how to make my BBQ sauce or my aioli recipe.
It’s very important to me, to know the ingredients you’re working with, which is why I started shopping at this alternative small family-owned online store where I can pronounce and know every single ingredient in it. I think you might like this store too, and if you want, give it a try by clicking this link.
Cocktail sauce has been around since the early 20th century as according to cookbooks, a tasty spicy tomato-based sauce was often served up with oysters and shrimp. In the United States, the term “cocktail” became popularized when marrying it with food because oftentimes the food was served up in cocktail-style glasses and at cocktail lounges, which is why cocktail shrimp is so often served up in glasses with a stem.
Here is what a typical cocktail sauce is made of:
- Ketchup: This acts as the base of the recipe and any ketchup brand will do.
- Chili Sauce: A bottled sauce that is tomato-based but has other spices and vegetables in it.
- Horseradish: Most often raw prepared horseradish is used, but fresh grated will work as well.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This salty umami sauce adds a lot of flavor to a cocktail sauce.
- Hot Sauce: Any hot sauce will work for this recipe, but I most often use Tabasco.
How to Make Cocktail Sauce from Scratch
Use these simple step-by-step instructions to make a homemade cocktail sauce recipe from scratch:
Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
Whisk until everything is completely combined and keep cool in the refrigerator until it is ready to serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This will freeze ok covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
chef notes + tips
- Creamy horseradish will not work in this recipe.
- If you do not have access to chili sauce, replace the ingredient amount with ketchup.
- Raw horseradish can be used but add it in to taste as it is spicier than jarred prepared.
More Sauce Recipes
- Comeback Sauce
- Vinegar BBQ Sauce
- Beurre Blanc
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup raw prepared horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
- Whisk together everything until it is completely combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
The link to your online family owned store is broken. Can you give us a new link or the store name, please
We don’t have a store
I was wondering, what brand of raw horseradish sauce you preferred to use in this recipe? And, how long would this keep in the fridge too?
don’t have one
Love your recipes!
What would be more helpful, you ask?
When you inform your followers about Nutrition, include the size of the portion that this represents.
when it comes to things like sauces, it’s a little bit subjective. The amount is listed in every recipe. If you break the 2 cups down to only 1 tablespoon a piece, then the nutrition is divided by 32. Make sense? I almost only do it this way for sauces. because some people prefer more than others,
I always add some honey (1 to 2 tsps.) to thicken the sauce so it adheres to the shrimp.
I’m 74 and have only knowingly eaten Heinz Cocktail Sauce my whole life. When I saw this recipe I thought what was the point when it included ½ cup of a commercial cocktail sauce? I made the recipe just as Billy wrote it. It is so improved even though it includes the Heinz as part of the recipe. Wow, it is delicious!
This by far the best cocktail sauce I have ever had. Served with your fried shrimp recipe. Delicious 😋