Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 3, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This lemon-dill sauce recipe is incredibly easy to make, goes great with any seafood dish, and is bursting with fresh dill and citrus flavors. You will be using this sauce on all your recipes once you try it.
Sauces can greatly enhance your recipes, like when you use this lemon-dill sauce on salmon patties. If you are looking to try out a few new sauces, then be sure to check out my Homemade Tzatziki or Cocktail Sauce.
Lemon-Dill sauce is a simple creamy sauce consisting of few ingredients and is commonly used with fresh seafood and fish recipes. It’s very easy to make and even has a few variations to help customize it to your liking, see the notes below for those.
This sauce is served chilled or slightly at room temperature to ensure freshness. The consistency of the lemon-dill sauce is slightly thick but should still be able to easily pour when saucing up a recipe.
Ingredients for a Lemon-Dill Sauce
- Crème Fraiche – I prefer to use crème fraiche, but you can use sour cream.
- Mayonnaise – Use a full fat mayonnaise in this recipe.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon juice is best.
- Dill – Use fresh dill, but you can substitute with dry. See notes on quantities.
- Chives – I like the addition of thinly sliced chives to provide some onion flavors.
- Garlic – Finely minced garlic really adds a lot of flavors to this.
How to Make Lemon-Dill Sauce from Scratch
Use these step-by-step procedures and images to make this delicious lemon-dill sauce from scratch:
Add all the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
Whisk together until completely combined and refrigerator until ready to use.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to two days ahead of time. Pull straight from the refrigerator and serve.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. This sauce will not freeze.
chef notes + tips
- This sauce would go phenomenal on any fish, seafood, chicken, or pork recipe.
- You can also add in ½ peeled small-diced shallot if you’d like more onion flavor.
- Substitute the 2 tablespoons of fresh dill with 1 ½ tablespoons of dry dill.
- Another great addition would be 1 tablespoon of prepared horseradish.
- Use 1 ½ teaspoons of garlic granules in place of fresh garlic.
- If the sauce is too thick, then thin with 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk. When the sauce is too thin, add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
More Sauce Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below.
Homemade Lemon-Dill Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh chives
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a medium-size bowl.
- Whisk together until combined and chill covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Made the sauce. Made the crème fraiche. Sorry spelling. The absolute best. Made the salmon Pattie’s. Are ya kidding me?? Outstanding!!! Thank you chef Parisi.