Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe is a delicious light and fluffy baked pancake that is served up with berries, powdered sugar, and whipped cream.
This is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. They are incredibly easy to make, and you get to customize them with all sorts of your favorite toppings. If you love breakfast as much as I do then definitely try my Chilaquiles and Homemade Bagels.
The Dutch Baby is an Americanized pancake that really seems to be invented by a restaurant in Seattle, Washington during the early to the mid-20th century. Often times it’s confused with a German pancake or even a Dutch Pancake from the Netherlands known as Deutsches pfannkuchen, which are really thin and closer to crepes than they are American pancakes.
A Dutch baby is very similar in batter and preparation to that of a popover or Yorkshire pudding. It is a very heavy egg-based recipe that is cooked in a cast-iron skillet in the oven until it crawls up the sides of the pan and becomes light and fluffy.
How to Make a Dutch Baby
Follow along with these simple instructions for how to make this amazing homemade Dutch baby:
Add the skillet to an oven and pre-heat.
Next, blend the ingredients in a blender at high speed for 20 to 30 seconds or until completely smooth. Set it aside.
Remove the preheated pan and add in the butter.
Once the butter has melted pour the batter into the skillet and cook in the oven until the batter crawls up the side of the pan and it is cooked throughout.
Serve the Dutch Baby with berries, homemade whipped cream, and powdered sugar.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: This recipe is meant to be eaten as soon as it is done cooking
How to Reheat: Place the Dutch baby on a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and cooked at 350° until warmed, about 3-5 minutes. You can also reheat in the microwave.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These will not freeze well.
You can substitute for lower-fat milk.
Feel free to substitute with bread flour.
Once the pan is removed from the oven it will be extremely hot and will melt the butter in seconds.
More Breakfast Recipes
Homemade Dutch Baby Recipe
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- whipped cream and berries for garnish
- Add the 10” cast iron skillet to an oven and preheat to 400°.
- In the meantime, add the milk, eggs, melted butter, flour, salt, and vanilla to a blender and blend on high for 20 to 30 seconds or until very smooth. Set it aside.
- Remove the skillet once it has been preheated and add in the 2 tablespoons of butter and heat until it is melted.
- Immediately pour in the batter from the blender and bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until browned, firm, and the batter has crawled up the sides of the pan.
- Remove the Dutch baby from the oven and garnish with fresh berries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar.