Tis the season for cranberries and I am taking full advantage in my kitchen. Sure you can buy dried cranberries or even frozen cranberries, but there is a limited season while fresh in the market and I have been using them in as many dishes as possible. I get up around 6 am everyday and the only thing I like more than drinking a black coffee is devouring a sweet breakfast pastry of some sort, and this recipe for Cranberry Walnut Cinnamon rolls fits that need perfectly!
The Cranberry Walnut Cinnamon rolls that I made has such a nice blend of savory, tart and sweet that I can’t think of anything more that is perfect for breakfast. I was impressed with the balance of flavors and honestly would not change a thing in this recipe.
A vital detail to remember when making these cinnamon rolls is to ensure that when you mix the yeast together with the warm milk and pinch of sugar that it beings to foam. This will allow your cinnamon rolls to rise properly and taste as they should. Of course success to this recipe is using quality flour, and The Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour is perfect for this Cranberry Walnut Cinnamon Rolls Recipe. This Organic Unbleached White Flour is freshly milled from Organic U.S. #1 dark northern hard red spring wheat. Both the bran and the germ have been removed leaving the endosperm that is made into white flour. It is not enriched with any additives. This is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers and produces high, well-textured loaves of bread equally as well as it produces light, airy baked goods. Use this flour for all of your baking needs.
The literal icing on the cake is the cream cheese frosting that is just so good and balances out the cinnamon roll to perfection. It provides some body to the dish and it is an explosion of flavor when combined with the roll. To be honest it would be a delicious glaze on just about any roll or pastry.
Another close up…
Of course I’ll always leave an extra big picture for you to pin!
- 4 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour + more for dusting
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ ounce of instant yeast
- 1 cup of whole milk heated to 110°
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces of soft unsalted butter
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 4 ounces of soft cream cheese
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Dough: In a bowl mix together the warm milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the sugar and sit until it begins to foam (about 4 to 7 minutes).
- Add the flour, salt and remaining sugar into a standing mixer with the hook attachment and mix until combined.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time until it is combined and then pour in the milk and yeast mixture until it is completely mixed together (2 to 3 minutes).
- Next, add in the butter on medium speed until is completely mixed in (3 to 4 minutes).
- Once the dough has been formed add it to a bowl and cover it in plastic and let it rest for 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- Filling: While the dough is resting add the cranberries, water and sugar to a pot and cook on medium heat until the water has been absorbed and the cranberries have been popped. Finish by whisking in the brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts and butter and cool.
- When the dough is finished rising add it to a clean surface that has been dusted with flour and roll it out to a ¼ inch thick square.
- Evenly spread out the cranberry mixture all over the dough and starting at the end closest to you roll the dough up and seal the end together by pinching it.
- Next, cut off 1 inch from each end and slice 12 slices.
- Add each slice to a buttered 13x9 baking pan ½ inch apart from each other.
- Cover the pan in plastic and let it rise for another hour.
- After the rolls are done rising, bake them in the oven at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Icing: While the rolls are cooling mix together the milk, cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium sized bowl until combined and evenly spread it on the cinnamon rolls and serve.