Butternut Squash Bisque Soup Recipe is silky smooth and the perfect soup to serve up to your guests. The soup is finished off with a sweet maple cream.
You know me, I’m all about balance of flavors and boy does this butternut squash bisque soup deliver.
You get this amazing savory flavor from the butternut squash bisque soup then a dash of sweetness from the cream for the most amazing flavor combo.
You may have to restrain yourself from eating all of the maple whipped cream because dude!
Butternut Squash Bisque Soup
If you’ve been around long enough, you know that I am obsessed with soup!
This butternut squash bisque soup recipe is really, really good.
My favorite part about this butternut squash bisque soup is that is easy to make and has few ingredients.
The butternut bisque depends on slow cooking and time for all of the savory ingredients to infuse.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, soup always gets better with time and it’s not different with this butternut squash bisque soup.
Making a Butternut Squash Bisque Soup
As I mentioned before this butternut squash bisque soup is incredibly easy to make.
- STEP 1: Roast some over low heat diced onions until they are caramelized, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- STEP 2: Add in garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
- STEP 3: Add in butternut squash and lightly cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- STEP 4: Deglaze with bourbon and cook until the liquid has been absorbed.
- STEP 5: Pour in the stock and simmer over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- STEP 6: Add in seasonings and puree using an emersion blender or blender until smooth.
- STEP 7: Season with salt and pepper and cook on low heat until ready to serve.
- STEP 8: Whip the whipped cream until stiff peaks and fold in the maple syrup.
- STEP 9: Serve the hot soup with a dollop of maple cream.
Maple Whipped Cream
One of the most important aspects of cooking is balance of flavor.
While the butternut squash bisque soup is incredibly savory it needs to be balanced out with a touch of sweetness.
Since the soup is hot, I thought it would be cool to add something in that will dissolve and immediately compliment the flavors.
Well, enter maple whipped cream stage left.
I didn’t make a standard sweet whipped cream with sugar because I know maple goes so well with butternut squash.
So much of cooking is practicing and dining out and learning what ingredients pair well together.
Back in my restaurant days we used to roast butternut squash in a bit of mace and maple syrup and dude was it a wonderful balance.
Having that experience help me shaped how I wanted to make this butternut squash bisque soup with maple whipped cream.
Making maple whipped cream is the same as making whipped cream.
Whip the cream on high with the whisk attachment in a standing mixer until stiff peaks have formed and then fold in the maple.
Serving a Butternut Squash Bisque Soup
When it comes to serving the butternut squash bisque soup, I simply start by pouring a small amount in a single serving bowl.
Trust me when I say this, this butternut squash bisque soup is rich and you won’t be able to put down a big ol bowl like you do chili or chicken noodle soup.
I then make a quenelle of maple whipped cream and pop it straight in the center.
If you don’t know how to make a quenelle, no problem just do a dollop of the maple whipped cream right on top of the butternut squash bisque soup.
I then finish off the butternut squash bisque soup by place a sage leaf in the center and a few toasted pepitas for added texture and flavor.
Well that’s it my friends, make sure to give this butternut squash bisque soup with maple whipped cream a try, it’s a winner!
My Favorite Soup Recipes
If you’re really digging this butternut squash bisque soup then check out these other soup recipes.
- Authentic Italian Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Chicken Detox Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kale
- Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- Hickory Smoked White Chicken Chili
- Taco Soup – from Dinner then Dessert
Butternut Squash Bisque Soup Recipe
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small diced sweet onion
- 3 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 2 peeled and seeded large diced large butternut squashes
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
For the Maple Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup maple syrup
- In a large hot pot on medium-low heat with butter, caramelize the onions, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once brown, add in the garlic and saute until lighty browned.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, deglaze with bourbon and cook to au sec (almost gone). Once the bourbon is almost gone, add in the stock and simmer on low heat until the butternut squash becomes tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Finish the soup with 1 cup of heavy cream and seasonings.
- Purée using an emersion blender or a blender.
- Whip 1 pint of heavy cream until stiff peaks are formed and fold in maple syrup and chill until ready to serve.
- To plate: serve the soup with 1 tablespoon of the maple whipped cream and garnish with a fresh sage leaf and pepitas