Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 29, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This beet salad recipe is jam-packed with fresh beets, greens, and cheese mixed with balsamic vinaigrette for a deliciously full-flavored salad. You will love how simple this is to prepare and how tasty it is.
I usually eat a big salad that is jam-packed with veggies several times a week. There’s nothing that tastes fresher than a large homemade salad. If you feel the same, then try my Tabbouleh Salad or Greek Salad.
Beet salad consists of fresh cooked or raw beets that are sliced or cut and served in a vinaigrette or alongside other ingredients such as greens, cheese, or nuts. Beets have a sweet earthy flavor and are an incredibly heart-healthy vegetable. Outside of pickled beets, this is my favorite way to prepare them.
There are many ways to make this salad, depending on your favorite flavor profiles and available ingredients. It can be as simple as only beets and as extravagant as a full-fledged greens-based salad. Other ingredients that go well with beets are seeds, grains, apples, prosciutto, bacon, or spices. Feel free to get creative and have some fun while making this beet salad recipe.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Beets – You will need fresh red or golden beets for this recipe.
- Greens – I prefer to use a sharper green, like arugula, to balance with the sweetness of the beets. However, other good greens are baby spinach, spring mix, or watercress. In addition, I used some micro greens as garnish.
- Cheese – crumbled blue or goat cheese works well in this beet salad.
- Dressing – I believe balsamic vinaigrette is best. However, other dressings that work well are Lemon Vinaigrette or Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Nuts – Almonds, walnuts, and pecans work best. You could even use candied pecans if you’d like.
- Onions – Thinly sliced red, white, or sweet onions are great to use. To take it a step further, picked red onions are even better.
How to Make a Beet Salad –
Preheat the oven to 350°. Slice off the stem end of the beets.
Place them in a pan or pot cut side down, along with 1 cup of cold water.
Cover with a lid or foil and roast in the oven for 1 hour at 350°.
Remove them from the pot and let them cool for about 30 minutes on a plate or platter before using gloves, clean hands, or paper towels to remove the outside peelings of the beets.
Cut the beets into thick slices or wedges.
Serve the prepared beet with arugula, almonds, crumbled cheese, pickled onions, balsamic vinaigrette, salt, pepper, and optional microgreens.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: Keep the dressing separate and the salad accompaniments separate, but you can prepare this up to 2 days ahead of time for freshness. Don’t season it until it’s ready to serve.
How to Store: If you can keep the ingredients and vinaigrette separate, cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will not freeze.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can also add fresh basil leaves to the salad.
- Feel free to add a protein like cooked chicken, fish, or steak.
More Salad Recipes
Beet Salad Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Slice off the stem end of the beets.
- Place them in a pan or pot cut side down, along with 1 cup of cold water.
- Cover with a lid or foil and roast in the oven for 1 hour at 350°.
- Remove them from the pot and let them cool for about 30 minutes on a plate or platter.
- Using gloves, clean hands, or paper towels, remove the outside peelings of the beets.
- Cut the beets into thick slices or wedges.
- Serve the prepared beet with arugula, almonds, crumbled cheese, pickled onions, balsamic vinaigrette, salt, pepper, and optional microgreens.