Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 12, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty, easy-to-make poppy seed dressing recipe has only 7 ingredients and comes together in minutes for the perfect salad accompaniment. You will love the big, bold flavors in this simple vinaigrette.
There are times when I like a little lemon and oil on my salads, and there are also times when I love a good dressing to enhance the flavor of all the vegetables. If you’re looking to learn how to make some great homemade dressings, check out my Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette.
Poppy Seed Dressing
Poppy seed dressing is a simple vinaigrette with vinegar, oil, poppy seed, and other ingredients such as sugar and herbs to help round out the dressing. This vinaigrette can be used on any salad that you make and has a nice balance of sweetness and tang with honey and vinegar.
This dressing is very versatile and can be altered or adjusted to your liking. For example, you can use different herbs like basil or oregano. You can also add things like shallots, garlic, or even some mayonnaise to make this a creamy poppy seed dressing. Feel free to get creative.
- Vinegar – I think white balsamic vinegar makes the best dressing. However, you can use apple cider or white wine vinegar.
- Lemon – The juice of fresh lemon will brighten up the dressing.
- Mustard – Whole grain mustard is best to use. You can substitute with Dijon or Stoneground Mustard.
- Herbs – Fresh thyme adds a lot of flavors to the vinaigrette. Swap out the same amount of fresh for dry thyme.
- Poppy Seeds – Any brand of poppy seeds will work.
- Oil – I prefer to use olive or avocado oil for this.
- Honey – Light or dark honey is great.
How to Make Poppy Seed Dressing from Scratch
Add the vinegar, honey, mustard, poppy seeds, thyme, and lemon juice to a medium-sized bowl.
Slowly whisk in the oil until the dressing becomes emulsified.
Store or serve the poppy seed dressing.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this Poppy Seed dressing recipe up to 3 days ahead. You can serve this immediately, but more flavors will come out with time. In addition, let it sit at room temperature before serving it.
How to Store: Place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days. This will not freeze.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Substitute the honey for sugar, maple syrup, or agave if desired.
- Feel free to use any oil, but I recommend a neutral-flavored oil. You can also blend oils together.
- Make this recipe in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment for the ultimate emulsified dressing.
- Emulsify is just a fancy culinary term to combine two things that generally wouldn’t go together, like, oil and vinegar.
More Dressing Recipes
Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup avocado or olive oil
- coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Add the vinegar, honey, mustard, poppy seeds, thyme, and lemon juice to a medium-sized bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the oil until the dressing becomes emulsified.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Store or serve the poppyseed dressing.