Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published November 23, 2016. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I have to admit, when I was growing up I couldn’t stand the thought of baked brie. I thought the brie cheese in the center that was oozing out was delicious, but what on earth is this weird fuzzy layer on the outside protecting all that goodness in the middle? I know now that the rind of the brie is intended to be eaten, but even to this day it’s a little weird. It kind of has an earthy mushroomy flavor to it that is just plain odd. However, when you bake brie with all the goodness that I did and then wrapped up in a puff pastry or phyllo dough shell that is ridiculously good! However, you will notice from the pictures that I didn’t just make the baked brie en croute recipe, I also hooked up a baked brie with cranberries and apples and dang was that good too.
As you get older your palette changes. Mine moved from sweet berry fruits to citrus. While I still love the sweetness of berries, I really like citrus flavors nowadays. In addition, I used to like pilsner style beers and now I’m in search for the darkest thickest motor oil looking beer I can find. Brie used to be gross to me even with some sweet jam on it, and now I can’t wait to dine with the ladies and eat brie like it’s my job. Sorry, just seems like ladies’ love brie J. It’s so bad now that if someone has it at a party that I literally eat half of it. I’m greedy, so what. At least I know where the good stuff is!! OK, let’s talk about how I made this Baked Brie En Croute Recipe and Baked Brie with Cranberries.
The baked brie en croute recipe is super simple and is extremely versatile. You don’t have to use the same sweet jam as I did or even top off with the candied pecans, dried cherries and caramel. However, you do need to start off with a good brie wheel and some puff pastry or phyllo dough. I used phyllo in this because I wanted some thin flaky layers, plus I already had some on hand so boom!! I used a triple creamed brie that was really cheap. I think I only paid $6 bucks for it. Next, I spread a really thick layer of sour cherry jam all over the top of it and set it aside while I rolled out the phyllo dough just a smidge.
From there I wrapped up the brie and cherry jam and pinched it tight with some water underneath. You can brush the top with a whisked egg or simply milk, which is what I used. Bake this puppy up in the oven at 350° for 35 minutes or until the top of the phyllo is golden brown. Now because I’m crazy I didn’t stop there. I made a really easy bourbon caramel sauce and some candied pecans to go over top. I also had some dried cherries lying around from the recipe I did the other day and topped off with them also.
This guy is gooey but dang is it ridiculous. There’s no right way to eat it, just grab a knife, cut in to it and go to town! I like serving up baked brie with an assortment of crackers and a sliced baguette, in case you were wondering. So now on to the baked brie with cranberries, in case for some crazy reason you don’t like a baked brie en croute recipe. Start by carefully slicing off the top layer of brie cheese, but laying it back on top. This will help keep the oozy cheese in side from pouring out while it’s baking. Next in a pot boil together some water, sugar and lemon juice and then add in some cranberries and diced apples and cook it until it becomes super thick. Honestly it will resemble a chutney. Finish it off with some cinnamon and currant and chill it in the fridge. From there wait till the brie cheese is done baking, remove that top layer you cut off and pile the cranberry apple mixture sky high on top and get in there with some crackers my friend!
Both these Baked Brie En Croute Recipe and Baked Brie with Cranberries are extremely easy to make and oh my gosh delicious! I just wanted to whip these up real quick in case you were looking for any last minute appetizers. I do want to note that you will have some leftover cranberry goodness, but hey perfect timing to slap it on your turkey this holiday season!! Enjoy!!!
Baked Brie En Croute Recipe and Baked Brie with Cranberries
For the En Croute Recipe:
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 6 ounces of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons of good bourbon
- 2 cups of pecan halves
- 1 phyllo dough sheet at room temperature
- 1 6 ” brie cheese wheel
- 1 tablespoon of whole milk
- 2/3 cup of sour cherry jam
- 1 cup of dried cherries
For the Brie with Cranberries:
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups of cranberries
- 1 peeled and small diced granny smith apple
- 1 peeled and small diced fuji apple
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange
- ½ cup of currants
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 6 ” brie cheese wheel
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- En Croute: In a pot over medium heat whisk together ½ cup of brown sugar, 4 ounces of butter and heavy cream until it becomes smooth and like caramel, about 4 to 6 minutes. Finish it by whisking in bourbon and set aside and keep warm.
- Next add ½ cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter to a saute pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add in the pecans and stir until the brown sugar begins to stick to the pecans. Remove and spread out the pecans on parchment paper and let sit until the brown sugar hardens.
- Roll out the phyllo dough slightly on a clean surface dusted with flour and set aside.
- Spread the cherry jam over top of the brie cheese wheel and wrap the phyllo dough over it and mold it to the cheese.
- Pinch the bottom using water to help secure and then brush the top of the dough with milk. Bake in the oven at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish with bourbon caramel, candied pecans and dried cherries.
- Brie with Cranberries: In a medium pot boil together the water, sugar and lemon juice and then add in the cranberries and apples and cook until the mixture becomes very thick like a chutney. Finish with orange zest, orange juice, currants and cinnamon and refrigerate until cool.
- Next, remove the top rind of the brie cheese wheel and then place it back on. Bake the cheese on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Remove the top rind and add on the cool cranberry apple mixture.
- Serve both baked brie cheeses with assorted crackers and bread.