Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 28, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You will absolutely love this chicken salad recipe that is loaded up with celery, grapes, and almonds that comes together in no time
I don’t know about you, but we make a lot of chicken recipes in our house, and because of that I know how boring it can get to make and eat the same thing over and over. If you’re looking to try out some new recipes then definitely check out my drunken noodles or chicken piccata recipe.
Chicken salad is a bound salad consisting of cooked chicken, mayonnaise, vegetables, and herbs. It is said to be created by a meat market in the mid 19th century in Rhode Island and immediately became a hit.
There are many variations for making chicken salad and one of the best things about it, is that it can be customized to your liking. Please use my recipe as a guide and swap out or add to any ingredients you’d like.
What can I add to Chicken Salad?
Chicken salad is incredibly versatile, so please consider adding some or all of these ingredients to your recipe:
- Dijon Mustard
How to Make a Chicken Salad Recipe
Follow along with these easy step-by-step instructions for making chicken Salad:
Grill the seasoned and oiled-up chicken breasts on a grill at high heat for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165°. Chill immediately.
Prepare all the vegetables and medium dice the chicken and add everything to a bowl.
Add in the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, herbs, and seasonings, and mix thoroughly until combined. Serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
chef notes + tips
- If you do not want to grill the chicken as I did in this recipe, please feel free to use chilled roast chicken, pan-seared chicken breasts, or one of those rotisserie chickens from your favorite grocery store.
- It is best to add grapes into the recipe when you are ready to serve it. Keep them aside if you plan to store the chicken salad for longer than 1 day.
- In addition to salt and pepper, chicken salad is good when seasoned with Lawry’s or Old Bay seasoning.
- Feel free to substitute the fresh dill for fresh tarragon or use both.
- Chicken salad is delicious served in fresh bread or a croissant and garnished with lettuce, tomato, and onion. It is also very good when served with freshly sliced melons.
More Chicken Recipes
The Best Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds cooked and cooled chicken, medium diced
- 1 peeled and small diced red onion
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 4 small diced celery stalks
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 ½ cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the chicken in your desired way. See notes on options.
- Next, add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Using a spatula, or clean hands, mix together everything until it is completely combined.
- Serve or cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.