Sweet Corn Soup with Butter Poached Crab and Chive Oil
Try this easy to make Summer sweet corn soup recipe with butter poached crab and homemade chive oil.
For the Soup:
- 2 small diced yellow onions
- 10 shucked and trimmed ears of corn
- 2 finely minced cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ gallon of vegetables stock (can substitute with water)
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ cup of corn starch and ½ cup of water combined
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Lea and Perrins and Tabasco to taste
For the Chive Oil:
- 1 bunch of fresh chives
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the Crab:
- 1 cup of jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Soup: In a large pot on high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil cool the onions and garlic until caramelized. Next add in the corn and cook for 4 to 6 minutes and pour in the stock and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Bring the soup to a boil and stir in the corn starch-water mixture until it becomes very thick. Once thick, puree until smooth using a blender or hand pureer. Finish the soup with milk, salt, pepper, Lea and Perrins and Tabasco. Keep hot.
- Chive oil: Cook the chives for 10 to 15 seconds in a saute pan of boiling salted water. Once cooked remove from the boiling water and add to ice water until completely cool. Next, squeeze out as much of the water in the chives as possible and add to a blender. Lastly, slowly drizzle in the olive oil while pureeing the chives. Once combined, strain the chive oil and set aside to set.
- Crab: In a small saute pan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of butter, cook the crab for a few minutes. Note: Crab is already cooked, just heat it up and flavor with the butter.
- To Serve: Serve the soup in a bowl along with some chive oil and chunks of crab,