When it comes to cooking for the holidays I know how stressing it can get. You’ve got “those” family members coming over that you only see like 3 times a year, kids are running around, your house is trashed and your kitchen has crusty foil lids laying around and food is everywhere. Yeah, I’ve been down that road a few times. But, it’s all good because eventually that delicious meal you’ve been working up to will get served, people and kids will eat, and your favorite relatives will eventually go home :-).
One of the biggest questions I get is how to save space and time on that crazy cooking day. To me it first starts with prep, make sure you’ve got everything you need so all you have to do is cook, not cut then cook, then cut again. You get it. The other is to try cooking some stuff in the slow cooker or even on the grill to help save precious oven space. However, if you just need a bit of space and the oven is all you’ve got then this Roasted Sweet and Savory Acorn Squash recipe is for you.
This is a crazy easy side dish that everyone will love, plus they are single serving, which means you can plan on exactly the amount you need without worrying about tons of leftovers. Start by cutting them in half and copping out the seeds.
Now because these squash are sweet and savory I whipped up a really easy butter consisting of butter, brown sugar, fresh chopped sage and of course bacon :-). To prepare them season the inside of each squash with salt and pepper and then with a tablespoon or 2 of the melted sweet and savory butter with all the fixings in there right into the squash cup.
To help balance of the dish I used a bit of Crystal Farms® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Honestly it’s fantastic straight out of the bag. It’s incredibly moist and the flavor and texture makes it seem as if shredded it straight off the block myself… Color me impressed and a fan! Sprinkle some of that delicious cheese right on top and line them up on a sheet of foil and place them on the far side of the rack, which will leave plenty of space in the oven for the turkey, potatoes, green bean casserole, etc. Roast’em up on 375° for 45 minutes and then boom, you’re good to go! Be sure to check out all of Crystal Farms cheeses on their website at CrystalFarmsCheese.com and on all of their social channels below.
Also, I am giving away a Le Creuset 14″ Oval Stoneware Dish. Simply login below, like The Crystal Farms Facebook Page and then write in the comments below your most memorable Christmas memory!
Roasted Sweet and Savory Acorn Squash
- 5 fresh acorn squashes cut in half and seeded
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup of chopped crispy bacon
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup of Crystal Farms® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, bacon and sage in a small pot and cook over low heat until the butter is melted. Stir until combined.
- Next, place the acorn squash flesh side up on a sheet of foil. Season them with salt and pepper and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the melted butter mixture into the cup of each squash. Top off with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Crystal Farms® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
- Fold up all sides of the foil to ensure the squash is covered and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms. The opinions and text are all mine.