Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published May 4, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious, easy-to-make oven-roasted tomatoes recipe is bursting with flavor and is an amazing accompaniment to any dish. You will be blown away at how tasty these simple-to-prepare tomatoes are.
Being Italian, I adore tomatoes and try to incorporate them into as many dishes as possible. Some of my favorite ways to use them are in recipes like my Caponata and Greek Lamb Shank.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Oven-roasted tomatoes are cooked in the oven at high temperatures until blistered and softened. This is an extremely easy process to do that renders perfect results every time. The textures and flavors are different than low and slow, like in tomato confit, but are still delicious.
What Does Roasting Tomatoes Do?
The main reason for pursuing this cooking technique is to intensify the flavor of the tomatoes. A more tomatoey tomato is better and can enhance whatever you’re serving it. While roasting tomatoes won’t reduce the acidity, they taste better than raw tomatoes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tomatoes – Any tomato is good to use for this recipe. However, if you make this in non-peak season, Roma tomatoes are great all year.
- Oil – I believe olive oil is the best fat for these oven-roasted tomatoes.
- Seasoning – Coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper are all that is needed.
How to Make Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
Slice the tomatoes in half longways or widthwise.
Place the tomatoes seed side up on a rack over a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and evenly drizzle the olive oil over each tomato slice.
Season the tomatoes well with salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven at 450° on a rack in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes or until blistered and cooked.
Serve or store the oven-roasted tomatoes.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make these up to 1 hour ahead by keeping them warm in the oven at very low temperatures of 165° to 200°.
How to Store: Cover and keep these in the refrigerator for 5 days. You can freeze these covered for up to 3 months. Thaw the tomatoes in the refrigerator for 1 day or until thawed.
How to Reheat: Spread the tomatoes onto a rack over a sheet tray and bake in the oven at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes or until warm.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can also serve and eat this cold if serving them on a salad or sandwich.
More Tomato Recipes
Oven Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Slice the tomatoes in half longways or widthwise.
- Place the tomatoes seed side up on a rack over a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil over each tomato slice.
- Season the tomatoes well with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven at 450° on a rack in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes or until blistered and cooked.
- Serve or store the oven-roasted tomatoes.
I LOVE roasted tomatoes and I can eat a whole sheet pan myself, I guess I should be ashamed to say. I add garlic and fresh thyme leaves, they are to die for. Great on sandwiches, bread, sauces and you name it. People that haven’t tried it are missing out!
very easy to cook and they are delicious.
The tomato plate was a HIT!!! Everyone ❤️❤️❤️ them!!!
Love these! Also good with some parmesan sprinkled on top.