Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published February 4, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Spaghetti Aglio E Olio Recipe is so simple to make and absolutely loaded with delicious garlic and olive oil flavor. This dish has only 5 ingredients and comes together in under 20 minutes.
I absolutely love Italian food. There’s nothing like it. If you are looking to learn how to make a few classic dishes then check out my Pomodoro Sauce with Spaghetti or a Potato Gnocchi with Arrabbiata sauce
Aglio e olio is a classic Italian dish that is served across Italy in home kitchens and in restaurants. It translates from Italian to English as, “garlic and oil.” When it’s incorporated with homemade spaghetti is so simple but a delicious combination.
If you would like to alter the flavor slightly, I’ve seen a few Italian chefs add in some white wine and lemon juice to help add a few bright citrus notes to the dish. For me, however, I like to keep things classic, and this is exactly what this recipe is.
Aglio E Olio Ingredients
- Oil – Extra virgin olive oil must be used in this recipe.
- Pepper – Seeded fresh spicy red pepper such as Fresno, red finger, or a red serrano is perfect for this dish.
- Garlic – I use three garlic cloves in my recipe, but you can add more. I also prefer to thinly slice as opposed to finely mince.
- Pasta –Spaghetti pasta is classic to use in this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite.
- Water – Hot pasta water is needed for this dish.
- Parsley – I have seen some very good Italian chefs use parsley while others do not. This one is up to you.
How to Make Aglio E Olio
Follow these step-by-step procedures for making homemade pasta Aglio e olio.
Add your olive oil to a sauté pan over medium-low heat and then add in the finely sliced garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until tender, but not brown. Once you smell it, it’s just about done cooking.
Next, add in the sliced peppers and cook for a further minute.
Pour in some hot pasta water to help stop the cooking process.
Boil the pasta according to its package and then add it in potions to the pan with the garlic, peppers, and oil so as to not overload it with pasta water.
Sprinkle in your optional parsley, season with salt, and mix using a spatula until combined.
Add to a plate and serve with more chopped parsley.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: This recipe is meant to be served as soon as it is done cooking.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will not freeze well.
How to Reheat: Add the desired amount of pasta to a medium-size pan over low heat along with ¼ cup of water and heat until creamy and hot.
chef notes + tips
- You should use Fresh Pasta Dough Recipe, but if not, you can easily swap out for dried.
- If you do not have access to a fresh pepper that substitute with a ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- You may need more pasta water so ensure it stays creamy and the pasta noodles don’t suck up too much of the sauce.
More Pasta Recipes
- Authentic Classic Lasagna Bolognese Recipe
- Fettuccine Pasta with Recipe for Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade Linguine Pasta with White Clam Sauce Recipe
- Pappardelle Pasta with Puttanesca Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara
Pasta Aglio E Olio Recipe
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 finely sliced garlic cloves
- 1 seeded and thinly sliced spicy red pepper
- 4 ounces hot pasta water
- 8 ounces fresh spaghetti pasta
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- salt to taste
- Add the olive oil to a sauté pan over medium low heat and heat for about 1 minute and then add in the finely sliced garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until tender, but not brown. Once you smell it, it’s just about done cooking.
- Next, add in the sliced peppers and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the hot pasta water to help stop the cooking process. Turn the heat off.
- Boil the pasta according to its package and then add it in potions to the pan with the garlic, peppers, and olive oil as to not overload it with pasta water.
- Sprinkle in your parsley, season with salt and mix using a spatula until combined.
- Add to a plate and serve with more chopped parsley.