Homemade Spaghetti Aglio E Olio Recipe is so simple to make and absolutely loaded with a delicious garlic and olive oil flavor.
I absolutely love to make homemade pasta, and this Spaghetti Aglio E Olio Recipe is super easy to make. Making homemade spaghetti takes some time but golly is it worth it. There is nothing like homemade bread and homemade pasta, and this recipe is worth every second of making it.
Ingredients in Spaghetti Noodles
I’ve made homemade pasta a ton of times but only spaghetti noodles a few times. After eating this recipe, I need to make it way more! Making homemade spaghetti noodles is actually easy and takes about 45 minutes to make. That may seem long to you but man oh man is homemade spaghetti just on another level.
Homemade pasta noodles consist of simply flour and eggs, that’s it.
How to Make Spaghetti
To make homemade spaghetti noodles, simply follow these steps
- STEP 1: Add flour to a clean surface and make a well.
- STEP 2: Add eggs to the center of the well and whisk the eggs only.
- STEP 3: Start to mix the flour into the eggs.
- STEP 4: Using a bench knife combine all of the ingredients scraping the surface to get up all of the ingredients.
- STEP 5: Add water or flour if needed.
- STEP 6: Knead the dough for 10 to 12 minutes then chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- STEP 7: Roll out the dough with a pasta rolling machine and let dry for 10 to 12 minutes.
- STEP 8: Cut the dough into 12” long pieces
- STEP 9: Attach the spaghetti attachment to the machine and run each 12” pasta sheet through to make spaghetti noodles.
- STEP 10: Dry the spaghetti noodles on a sheet tray or on a pasta rack for 20 minutes.
What Is Aglio E Olio
Aglio e olio translates from Italian to English as, “garlic and oil.” Of course, in Italy, there is only 1 oil, olive. When it’s incorporated with homemade spaghetti is so simply but beyond delicious.
A few things to add to this would be chopped parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese and/or a squeeze of lemon juice.
How to Make the Recipe
Before you boil your homemade spaghetti noodles we need to make the Aglio E Olio. You want to add your olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat and then hit it with some finely sliced garlic. How fine? Think of Ray Liotta in Good Fellas when he is in prison shaving garlic with a box cutter blade.
They say once you smell garlic in a pan, it’s done so turn off the heat immediately.
Once your Aglio E Olio is done you want to cook your homemade spaghetti noodles on a large pot of boiling salted water. The homemade spaghetti will only cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the pasta keep a cup or so of the pasta water and add it to the garlic and oil pan.
Sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes, finely minced parsley and salt. Give the spaghetti a toss and plate it up garnished with some more red pepper flakes, parsley, and parmesan cheese. I can promise you one thing, you are absolutely going to love this recipe.
More Amazing Pasta Recipes
If you love this, and I know you will, then check out my other pasta recipes!
- Authentic Classic Lasagna Bolognese Recipe
- Homemade Fettuccine Pasta with Recipe for Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade Linguine Pasta with White Clam Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Pappardelle Pasta with Puttanesca Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara
Homemade Spaghetti Aglio E Olio Recipe
For the Pasta:
- 4 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 5 eggs
- sea salt to taste
- water as needed
For the Aglio E Olio
- ¼ cup of good olive oil
- 12 to 15 finely shaved garlic cloves
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Finely minced parsley to taste
- sea salt to taste
- shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Spaghetti: Add the flour to a clean surface and make a well using your hands. Add the eggs to the center of a well and whisk using a fork.
- Gradually bring in the flour from the outside until it is combined. Use a bench knife to scrape together all of the ingredients and knead for 10 to 12 minutes. Add water or flour as needed.
- Once the dough is kneaded form it into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Next, divide the dough into 2 sections and roll out each piece using a pasta roller with a hand crank on the lowest setting, which is 0. Run it through 3 times.
- Next, turn the setting higher to 3 and roll the dough through 1 time.
- Change the setting to 6 setting and roll it again. The dough should be a long thin sheet. Set aside on a floured surface and repeat with the other dough ball. Cut the dough sheets into 10"-12" sections.
- Add the spaghetti attachment, sprinkle the dough again with flour and roll out each 10"-12" cut sheets of dough and form into little pasta balls on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper or on a pasta drying rack. Rest for at least 10 minutes so that pasta can dry out a bit.
- Aglio E Olio – add the oil to large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until you smell it. Turn the heat off.
- Boil 1/3 of the spaghetti noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes or until floating and al dente.
- 10. Transfer the noodles to the pan with the Aglio E Olio along with ½ cup of the pasta water and mix with red pepper flakes, parsley, and salt.
- 11. Garnish the pasta with parmesan cheese.