Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published December 29, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This very easy-to-make full-flavored Thai-style peanut sauce is a perfect accompaniment to any of your grilled or cooked meat recipes. You should absolutely serve this up with my chicken satay recipe.
There are quite a few different styles of peanut sauce ranging from Indonesian to Malaysian, to Thai, and beyond. All of them are unique in ingredients and flavors and all act as a dipping sauce for cooked protein or vegetables.
This peanut sauce recipe is much more of a Thai-style sauce, but I do not use curry. I don’t feel it necessary to use curry as there are so many other flavors in the sauce that compliment and there is no need to add curry to overtake it. You can however use it, and if you want I’ve got an amazing homemade recipe for fresh curry.
Peanut Sauce Ingredients
- Peanut Butter – Creamy peanut butter is best for this recipe.
- Coconut Milk – Full fat unsweetened canned coconut milk.
- Vinegar – You can use coconut or rice wine vinegar.
- Ginger – Fresh peeled ginger is best, but you could substitute for a ½ teaspoon of dry.
- Chili-Garlic Sauce – Also known as sambal which can be found in the Asian aisle in your local grocery store.
- Sugar – It’s best to use palm sugar but that may be hard to find. If so, perfectly substitute for packed light brown sugar.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves are best, but you can substitute for 1 teaspoon of dry.
- Lime Juice – Use fresh limes to juice.
- Soy Sauce – Any good soy or tamari sauce will work.
How to Make Peanut Sauce
Use these step-by-step instructions for making this tasty Thai peanut sauce recipe:
Add all the ingredients except for the coconut milk to a large bowl.
Gently whisk everything together until combined. This peanut butter will tighten up a little bit.
Slowly add in the coconut milk a ½ cup at a time and gently whisk it in until the sauce is smooth and combined. Store until ready to use.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
chef notes + tips
- Feel free to use chunky peanut butter if you want
- You can use bottled coconut milk, but for maximum fat and flavor canned is best.
More Sauce Recipes
Homemade Peanut Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 finely grated garlic
- 1 ” chunk of finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut or rice wine vinegar
- 15 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- Add all the ingredients except for the coconut milk to a large bowl.
- Gently whisk everything together until combined. This peanut butter will tighten up a little bit.
- Slowly add in the coconut milk a ½ cup at a time and gently whisk it in until the sauce is smooth and combined. I usually only use about ½ of the coconut fat that’s at the top of the can.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.