Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 30, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This amazing homemade buttercream recipe is the perfect frosting for cakes, bars, and cupcakes for the most delicious treat topping. You will love how easy this is to make and how tasty it is.
If you aren’t sure what to put this on, try it out on my homemade funfetti cake, or even swap out my cream cheese frosting for this one on my Carrot Cake Recipe.
Buttercream is a light and creamy frosting made with softened butter, powdered sugar, and cream. Classically egg yolks would be used to help make it lighter and fluffier as well as add structure. There are many ways to flavor this frosting and can be used as a filling or frosting for cakes and pastries.
The simplicity of this recipe that can greatly enhance and sweet treat cannot be understated. This will not only help add some sweetness, but it can also add fat which means flavor to the treat.
Ingredients You Need
- Butter – Use softened unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Sugar – Powdered sugar is what you’ll need.
- Vanilla – Use good vanilla for this.
- Cream – Cold heavy whipping cream will help to thin out of it gets too thick.
How to Make Buttercream from Scratch
Use these simple-to-prepare instructions for making this delicious buttercream frosting:
Add the softened butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
Next, turn the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar, then turn the speed to high and whip for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
Ice a cake, pipe it onto some cupcakes, or chill until ready to serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. When thawing you may need to re-whip.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can use salted butter, just be sure not to add any more to it.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, thin with a small amount of whipping cream.
More Dessert Topping Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below.
Homemade Buttercream Recipe
- 2 ½ sticks softened unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- optional heavy cream
- Add the softened butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, turn the speed to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar.
- Turn the speed to high and whip for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and mix until combined. See chef notes on thinning or thickening it.
- Ice a cake, pipe onto some cupcakes, or chill until ready to serve.