Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 7, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious smoked salmon dip recipe is jam-packed with shredded Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, fresh herbs, and crème fraiche for an unbelievably tasty appetizer. You will not be able to stop eating this dip once you try it.
Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked salmon dip is a mayonnaise-based dip that is mixed with smoked salmon, vegetables, and herbs. It’s a simple-to-prepare dip that can feature an assortment of crackers and vegetables for dipping. This recipe can also be customized to your liking by adding different amounts or ingredients.
I chose to smoke the salmon myself to provide a fresher smokier flavor than when purchasing it from the grocery store. If you go this route, you will have smoked salmon left over but it’s great to use in other recipes like pasta.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Salmon – You will need smoked salmon for this recipe which can be done yourself or pre-smoked from the store.
- Mayonnaise – Use a good full-fat mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese – This will need to be full-fat and at room temperature to make it easy to mix.
- Crème Fraiche – I like to use some crème fraiche in this instead of sour cream.
- Cheese – Some shredded Swiss cheese takes this salmon dip over the top.
- Onion – A few green onions and red onions help elevate the flavor.
- Herbs – Fresh dill is the perfect herb to use with salmon.
- Lemon – I like to add a little clean acid to help balance the flavors.
- Capers – These are perfect for some great brine flavors and a texture that complements the other dip ingredients.
How to Make a Smoked Salmon Dip
If you are smoking the salmon yourself, using a fork or spoon, break it up into smaller bite-size pieces.
Next, in a large bowl add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, crème fraiche, cheese, onions, dill, capers, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix using a rubber spatula until completely combined and smooth.
Fold in the pulled smoked salmon and mix until combined. Serve with assorted crackers, bread, and veggies.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this smoked salmon dip up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator for 1 day or until thawed. You may need to remix and season the dip to return to the original consistency.
Chef Notes + Tips
- An alternative to crème fraiche is sour cream.
- Regular Swiss cheese will work fine in this recipe.
More Salmon Recipes
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- ½ pound smoked salmon, roughly chopped or pulled with forks
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- Juice of ½ lemon or about 2 tablespoons
- 4 ounces shredded Jarlsberg Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ small peeled and small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped capers
- coarse sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- If you are smoking the salmon yourself, using a fork or spoon, break it up into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Next, in a large bowl add in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, crème fraiche, cheese, onions, dill, capers, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix using a rubber spatula until completely combined and smooth.
- Fold in the pulled smoked salmon and mix until combined.
- Serve with assorted crackers, bread, and veggies.