Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 7, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious smoked salmon dip recipe is jam-packed with shredded Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, fresh herbs, and crème fraiche for an unbelievably tasty appetizer. You will not be able to stop eating this dip once you try it.
I’m a big-time salmon fan and would eat it for every meal if given the chance. If you love it as much as I do then try out my Salmon Patties or Brown Sugar Salmon Recipe.
Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked salmon dip is a mayonnaise-based dip that is mixed with smoked salmon, vegetables, and herbs. It’s a simple-to-prepare dip that can feature an assortment of crackers and vegetables for dipping. This recipe can also be customized to your liking by adding different amounts or ingredients.
I chose to smoke the salmon myself to provide a fresher smokier flavor than when purchasing it from the grocery store. If you go this route, you will have smoked salmon left over but it’s great to use in other recipes like pasta.
- Salmon – You will need smoked salmon for this recipe which can be done yourself or pre-smoked from the store.
- Mayonnaise – Use a good full-fat mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese – This will need to be full-fat and at room temperature to make it easy to mix.
- Crème Fraiche – I like to use some crème fraiche in this instead of sour cream.
- Cheese – Some shredded Swiss cheese takes this salmon dip over the top.
- Onion – A few green onions and red onions help elevate the flavor.
- Herbs – Fresh dill is the perfect herb to use with salmon.
- Lemon – I like to add a little clean acid to help balance the flavors.
- Capers – These are perfect for some great brine flavors and a texture that complements the other dip ingredients.
How to Make a Smoked Salmon Dip
If you are smoking the salmon yourself, using a fork or spoon, break it up into smaller bite-size pieces.
Next, in a large bowl add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, crème fraiche, cheese, onions, dill, capers, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix using a rubber spatula until completely combined and smooth.
Fold in the pulled smoked salmon and mix until combined. Serve with assorted crackers, bread, and veggies.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this smoked salmon dip up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can freeze this covered for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator for 1 day or until thawed. You may need to remix and season the dip to return to the original consistency.
Chef Notes + Tips
- An alternative to crème fraiche is sour cream.
- Regular Swiss cheese will work fine in this recipe.
More Salmon Recipes
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- ½ pound smoked salmon, roughly chopped or pulled with forks
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- Juice of ½ lemon or about 2 tablespoons
- 4 ounces shredded Jarlsberg Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ small peeled and small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped capers
- coarse sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- If you are smoking the salmon yourself, using a fork or spoon, break it up into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Next, in a large bowl add in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, crème fraiche, cheese, onions, dill, capers, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix using a rubber spatula until completely combined and smooth.
- Fold in the pulled smoked salmon and mix until combined.
- Serve with assorted crackers, bread, and veggies.
This is one luscious recipe, wow! It does take awhile to prepare the ingredients, but I actually enjoy doing that and improving my knife skills. It’s also a very elegant dish, and a few garnishes would make it look even better. I think you said you once lived in St. Louis, and I live in a suburb. Dierberg’s smokes salmon fresh every day, so I used that and it worked great. We are so spoiled here with great grocery stores. One suggestion is to use a hand mixer to incorporate the cream cheese, mayo and creme fraiche. Even though I thoroughly softened them, a spatula and even a whisk didn’t do it completely like I wanted. Hand mixer did the trick. Thanks for a great recipe!
thanks for giving it a shot!!
Made this salmon dish for a party tonight and it was outstanding. Once again Chef Parisi assembles a flavor filled dip for our enjoyment! So fun to try something new and fairly easy to make! The capers add a nice subtle flavor!
Glad you liked it!
Salmon recipe is perfect tasting.
I just made this and it is fantastic! Rather than a smoked salmon fillet, I used sliced smoked salmon that you can find in the deli (lox—what you would put on a bagel with cream cheese), imported from Europe, and pulled/sliced it. It worked great! The Jarlsberg Swiss cheese was delicious— the first time I’ve had it. This dip would be wonderful for a party (but it’s all mine today!)!
WOW, this sounds amazing. I love smoked Salmon. I eat it for a snack with crackers or on a Bagel with cream cheese. This dip is right up my ally. I use a lot of your recipes Billy. I love them and they are all so good full of flavor. My son is just beginning to do BBQ competitions and I have always made his rubs and sauces for him. and I use several of your tips and ingredients when I make them. I really love you Vinegar based BBQ sauces.
The salmon dip is amazing. Your entire page saved to my faves. You make blahs not only amazing, but brilliant.
Salmon dip is my favorite appetizer recipe! Can’t wait to make this for our party.
So awesome, thank you so much!
That spread looks incredible! I can’t wait to make this dip!
You’re going to love it!
Hey there Billy! Thanks so much for including me here. As always, top notch recipe and photos brother.
See you in May. 🙂
Thanks for making such awesome recipes!!
This dip is amazing! And I love the idea of all those dippers! It was a huge hit! Thanks!
LOVE this recipe. And your presentation is amazing 🙂
thank you so much for the kind words!