Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 15, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This may hands down be the best egg salad recipe of all time and is jam-packed with onion, celery, garlic, pickles, and mayonnaise on toasted bread. You will be blown away at just how good this is.
I absolutely love a good salad, especially during the summertime. One of my all-time favorites is the chicken salad recipe I ate every day for two years and the classic Caprese Salad.
Egg salad is a simple bound salad consisting of diced hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise, seasonings, and vegetables. It is incredibly simple to make and a great recipe to use if you have a lot of leftover hard-boiled eggs.
Egg Salad has been around since the late 19th century and was adapted early on with the use of mayonnaise, transitioning from butter. They became popular throughout the United States because it was easy to make with always in-season ingredients, and it was high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
There is nothing overly fancy about the egg salad but can be customized to your liking and your budget. Check out the video below to check out my version of this delicious egg salad recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Eggs – Any large egg cool or at room temperature will work.
- Mayonnaise – Use a good full-fat mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Mustard – I like the combination of Dijon and yellow mustard in this.
- Onion – You can use red, yellow, white, or sweet onion for this.
- Garlic – Just 1 or 2 garlic cloves will add some great flavor to this.
- Herbs – I like to use fresh dill, but you can substitute with dry. In addition, chives are used as a garnish.
- Celery – A couple of celery ribs will add flavor and texture.
- Pickle – Dill pickles will add some texture and some acid to this egg salad.
- Capers – These will add a lot of flavor to this dish.
How to Make Egg Salad from Scratch
Use these easy-to-follow instructions to make this amazing egg salad from scratch recipe:
Start by making hard-boiled eggs by cooking in boiling water.
Immediately chill the eggs in an ice bath once they are done cooking and set them aside.
Remove the shell and medium dice. Place them in a large bowl.
Add in all the remaining ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula until combined.
Serve the egg salad on an open faces piece of bread with lettuce and additional garnishes of paprika, dill, and chive.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this salad up to 1 day ahead of time. You may need to drain slightly, add in more mayonnaise, and re-season before serving.
How to Store: Cover and keep the egg salad in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will not freeze.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can make this salad customizable with ingredients, so feel free to add in, remove, or swap anything in this recipe.
- For a low-carb meal, try serving this egg salad inside of a pitted and peeled fresh avocado.
More Salad Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below.
Delicious Egg Salad Recipe
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup small diced red onion
- 2 small diced ribs of celery
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- 2 small diced dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon roughly minced capers
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Immediately chill the eggs in an ice bath once they are done cooking and let stand for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the shell, and medium dice. Place them in a large bowl.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula until combined.
- Serve the egg salad on an open faces piece of bread with lettuce and additional garnishes of paprika, dill, and chive.
Excellent egg salad Chef!!!!!!
Can’t wait to try this! I love the addition of capers. 😁😁😁