Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 3, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Domino Potatoes recipe is roasted to perfection with a golden brown outside and a tender middle for an easy-to-make side dish. You will love the simple, elegant flavors in this tasty potato recipe.
Domino Potatoes are thinly sliced potatoes fanned out and roasted in the oven to resemble dominos. They were made famous by Chef Francis Mallmann and are incredibly simple to prepare. Like many potato recipes, this uses few ingredients and is an easy way to decorate an otherwise basic dish.
The roasting of the potatoes is key to ensuring they are flavorful. They are similar in flavor to Potatoes Anna without all the layers.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Potatoes – Large russet potatoes work perfectly for this.
- Butter – Always use unsalted butter when cooking or baking.
- Seasonings – I like only to use salt and pepper.
How to Make Domino Potatoes
Slice your potatoes into a rectangle removing the peels
Next, using a mandolin, thinly slice each potato and keep the pieces together in order.
Place them slightly fanned out but intact on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. It’s ok if there is a little potato skin still on the potatoes.
Brush the top with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
Bake them at 400° for about 40 to 45 minutes or until browned and cooked. Serve garnished with parsley.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: These are meant to be eaten within an hour of making them.
How to Reheat: Place them in a pan or on a metal tray and bake in the oven at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until warmed. Likewise, you can microwave it until warm.
How to Store: Cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These do not freeze that well, so I advise against them.
Chef Notes + Tips
- If you have a lot of leftover potatoes, they are excellent for making hash browns by slicing them through and frying them.
- You can also finish the potatoes with fresh herbs or grated parmesan cheese.
- If the potato is large enough, you may be able to get two servings out of 1 potato if you cut it correctly.
More Potato Recipes
Easy Domino Potatoes Recipe
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 1 stick of melted unsalted butter
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the potatoes into a rectangle removing the outside peel.
- Next, using a mandolin, thinly slice each potato, making sure to keep the pieces together in order. Each slice should be about 1/8 of an inch.
- Place them slightly fanned out but intact on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and about 1” from the other domino potatoes.
- Brush the top with 1 tablespoon of melted butter each and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake them at 400° for about 40 to 45 minutes or until browned and cooked. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.