Cornbread and Chorizo Stuffing
This cornbread stuffing recipe with chorizo sausage is a perfect compliment to any Thanksgiving Day meal.
- 1 1/3 cup of sugar
- 8 ounces of melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 2 cups of A.P. flour
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 4 links of thinly sliced cooked chorizo sausage
- 1 small diced sweet onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 3 small diced peeled carrots
- 2 cloves of finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup of sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cornbread: In a large bowl add together melted butter and sugar and combine. In a separate bowl mix together buttermilk and baking soda. Once combined add to the butter, sugar mixture and stir well. Next add in remaining ingredients and mix until very few lumps remain. On a sheet pan with parchment paper and non-stick spray pour corn bread batter and spread evenly. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Once the corn bread is cooked, slice into thick chunks and place in a very large bowl.
- Chorizo: In a large saute pan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, caramelize the vegetables. Once brown, add in the chorizo and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Finish with green onions salt and pepper and add it to the large bowl with cornbread. Mix thoroughly and transfer to a souffle dish.
- In a separate bowl whisk together chicken stock and eggs and pour over the mixed cornbread, vegetables and chorizo. Place the souffle dish in the oven on 375° for 20 ro 30 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the heat and serve.