Staying on par with this whole 21 Days of Healthy Eating that I am doing I came up with this Vegetables and Brown Rice Bowl Recipe. Really it was handed to me given I used a ton of the left over vegetables from the Spinach Salad with Parmesan Vinaigrette I made earlier this week. Just like everyone I try to save money where I can, and if that includes transforming leftovers from one great recipe to another then so be it. The concept of “Carry Over” cooking, which is what I call it, (yes this is different than the culinary term which means your food still cooks even if you take it away from the heat) has always intrigued me. It requires a good amount of time to think of an entire menu which allows you to make a bit extra from every recipe and use it in the next so that you have a weeks worth of food. It’s a killer concept that would allow for minimal waste and a lot of money saving. The healthy eating thing that I’m doing has inspired me to get a clearer picture of what I could do. So with this Vegetables and Brown Rice Bowl Recipe, I used the leftover cooked asparagus and peas into this tasty treat!
A nice big picture below to pin!
Vegetables and Brown Rice Bowl Recipe
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cups of cooked sliced asparagus
- 3/4 cups of cooked peas
- 10 thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- As soon as the rice is finished cooking add it to a large bowl with all of the other ingredients and mix well.
- The heat from the rice will warm up all of the other vegetables so it's perfect to serve.