Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 12, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Spring Salad Recipe with Farro and Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette is packed with seasonal greens and vegetables for an unbelievable flavor. You will love the incredible combinations of fresh ingredients in this salad.
As I’ve gotten older, I seem to be eating more and more salads. One of my favorite parts of any salad is the dressings. If you are looking to try some amazing homemade dressing, then you must make my Buttermilk Ranch or Balsamic Vinaigrette.
A spring salad can be whatever you want it to be if the ingredients are fresh and in season. I believe many components can take your salad over the top, like adding fresh vegetables to the greens, protein, nuts, and a tasty dressing. My recommendation is always to use what you have, what is in season, and what is on sale, or else you’re going to have an overpriced salad that just misses the mark.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Grains – I like to use cooked farro in this recipe, but you can also use bulghur or quinoa.
- Greens – My favorite combination is spring mix lettuce.
- Vegetables – I like to add asparagus, green beans, and parboiled peas and then chilled for this salad.
- Nuts – Candied pecans will bring amazing flavors and texture to this.
- Dressing – I make a very simple lemon vinaigrette for this salad recipe.
- Eggs – Some hard-boiled eggs will add some much-needed protein to this.
- Garnishes – I used a combination of cherry tomatoes, radishes, avocados, and micro greens.
How to Make a Spring Salad
Start by preparing the lemon vinaigrette dressing and set it aside.
Make the candied pecans and then set them to the side.
Cook the farro, rinse it and chill it.
Par boil the green beans, asparagus, and peas in a large pot of boiling salted water. First, add in the beans and asparagus for 90 seconds, then add in the peas and cook for 90 seconds.
Rinse and chill the vegetables immediately.
Place the greens in a large bowl and accessorize with the cooked farro, par-boiled green beans, asparagus and peas, hard-boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, radishes, candied pecans, avocados, and micro green and serve alongside the vinaigrette.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this spring salad up to 1 day before. Just be sure it is not yet mixed with the dressing. In addition, it would be best to leave the hard-boiled eggs and avocado un-cut.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will not freeze.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Feel free to use whatever salad dressing you’d like.
- You can swap out, remove, or substitute any vegetables in this recipe.
More Salad Recipes
Spring Salad Recipe with Farro and Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon vinaigrette recipe
- 1/2 candied pecans recipe
- 4 cups of cooked Farro
- 1 cup of trimmed green beans
- ½ bunch of asparagus, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup of spring peas
- 12 ounces of spring mix lettuce
- 6 hard boiled eggs, shelled and cut in half
- 1 bunch of cherry tomatoes
- 2 thinly sliced radishes
- 2 peeled, seeded and sliced avocados
- micro greens for garnish
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the lemon vinaigrette dressing and set it aside.
- Make the candied pecans and then set them to the side.
- Cook the farro according to the package, rinse it, and chill it.
- Stir in the pecans and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the caramel sauce completely coats the pecans.
- Par boil the green beans, asparagus, and peas in a large pot of boiling salted water. First, add in the beans and asparagus for 90 seconds and then add in the peas and cook for a further 90 seconds.
- Rinse and chill the vegetables immediately.
- To Plate: Place the greens in a large bowl and accessorize with the cooked farro, par-boiled green beans, asparagus and peas, hard-boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, radishes, candied pecans, avocados, and micro green and serve alongside the vinaigrette.