I’m not going to lie, this Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Bolognese Sauce Recipe may be the best series of food photographs I’ve taken in a while. Not anything against what I’ve taken in the past, but man am I proud to share this one with you. In addition to the images, the this Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Bolognese Sauce Recipe is really good, and because I can I through a poached egg on top. Not sure what my deal is lately with putting eggs on things, but it’s awesome. It adds a natural layer of creaminess and fat that is just so dang good. Believe it or not, this recipe is included into my 21 Days of Healthy Eating and rightfully so. I’ve replaced carb filled pasta with the spaghetti squash and the turkey bolognese is simply tomatoes, vegetables, Italian sausage and ground turkey. I was so dang surprised at how full I was after eating it to. With pasta I get it, because the carbs keep you full, but believe it or not I was so full after eating all of these vegetables. Maybe it was the egg?
I’ve been really obsessed lately with using tarnished silverware and plates. I’m not sure why, but it really adds a thematic twist to the image. I’ve also tried to be sloppy on purpose, for example this Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Bolognese Sauce Recipe has sauce falling over the sides onto the parchment paper. I like that because let’s be honest that’s reality. What you can’t see in the image is a screaming baby that is starving for food and a wife just begging me to get some food on the table. That is the one thing I always dislike about food branded websites, they always have this perfectly iced cake, or a golden brown turkey, it just never looks like the image. This is why I always try to make my images a bit more real, for the everyday cook.
Last but not least, a nice fancy picture for you to pin!
- 2 spaghetti squashes seeded and cut in half width wise
- 1 small diced large yellow onion
- 2 seeded and small diced assorted bell peppers
- 3 peeled and small diced carrots
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 6 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1½ pounds of ground turkey meat
- 1½ pounds of loose packed mild turkey Italian sausage
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes and juice
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces of tomato paste
- ⅓ cup of dry basil
- ¼ cup of dry oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- poached eggs
- For the sauce: In a large pot on high heat with olive oil, caramelize the onions, peppers, garlic, carrots and celery. Once brown, add in the ground turkey and turkey sausage and cook until they are cooked through.
- Add in the the tomatoes, herbs, bay leaf, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for at least 1 hour. Note: the longer it's cooked the better.
- If the sauce is too thin add in the tomato paste and cook until thick or if it is too thick add in some water to thin out.
- Before serving, whisk in the Parmesan cheese.
- For the squash: Place them cut side down on a sheet pan and place it in the oven. Next, pour in 2 to 3 cups of water into the pan and bake in the oven on 375° for 45 to 50 minutes or until soft.
- To Plate: Once the squash is done, using a fork scrape the inside flesh and pull out the squash. It will look like spaghetti. Serve the turkey bolognese sauce over the cooked spaghetti squash and serve with a poached egg on time. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.