I used to work in this restaurant where we made veal saltimbocca so feeling a little nostalgic and a little more in love with pig these days, I whipped up this Pork Saltimbocca Recipe!
It all starts with the pork of course, so get’em cut thick!
Once they are all seasoned up go get out that big ol’ cast iron skillet, spray it up with PAM Original No-Stick Spray and sear’em until they are a perfect golden brown.
Next place on a few fresh sage leaves followed up with some prosciutto ham slices and fresh sliced buffalo mozzarella. From there, they’re going in the oven at 400° for a little over 20 minutes.
While the pork is in the oven I made a really simple candied bacon glaze, that I actually learned while in culinary school some 17 years ago.. Dang I’m gettin old :-/
Glaze up the melty pork chops and you’ve got one tasty meal!
Here’s a real up close one for ya!
Pork Saltimbocca Recipe
For the Pork:
- PAM® non-stick cooking spray
- 3 double thick cut pork chops
- 9 large fresh sage leaves
- 3 sliced of prosciutto ham cut in half
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- 6 thick slices of buffalo mozzarella
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Glaze:
- 6 chopped slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- ½ cup of simple syrup – ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of sugar boiled together
- Preheat the oven to 400° and season the pork on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spray a large cast iron skillet with PAM® Non-Stick Cooking Spray and place it on high heat.
- Sear the pork chops until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Next, evenly layer on the sage, prosciutto ham, provolone slices and buffalo mozzarella to each pork chop and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and lightly browned.
- In a separate medium size saute pan over high heat cook the chopped bacon until it is very crispy, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Next, add in the sherry vinegar and cook until it is almost gone and then add in the simple syrup and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the pork chops with the sweet bacon glaze.