Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published August 10, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This simple-to-prepare pickled red onions recipe is a great way to enhance the flavor of your favorite sandwich, salad, or tacos.
Pickled red onions consist of onions that are submerged in a sweet and salty brine solution to help preserve their shelf life and add flavor. Utilizing this pickling technique is one of the easiest things you can do to take your food to the next level. The combination of flavors in them provides a perfect balance, especially when being served alongside or on top of your favorite foods. My recipe also does not require any heating or canning procedures.
Ingredients to Make Pickled Red Onions
- Onions – Red onions are the best option; However, you can use white, sweet, or yellow onions.
- Vinegar – I believe red wine vinegar provides the best flavor when making these pickled red onions.
- Water – This will help to cut the intense flavor of the vinegar as well as provide more liquid volume to fill up the jars.
- Sugar – Any granulated sugar will work for this.
- Salt – I always use sea salt in my recipes.
Start by slicing the onions in whichever manner you’d like. I prefer thin rings but occasionally will thinly julienne them as well.
Add the prepared onions to a clean and sterilized 16-ounce glass mason jar.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar, until everything is mixed and dissolved.
Pour the brine solution over the onions in the jar, submerging them.
Screw on the clean and sterilized seal and lid and place them in the refrigerator for 1 hour before they are ready to serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead – You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store – Seal the lid on the jar of the pickled red onions and keep them in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 weeks. These will not freeze.
Chef Notes + Tips
- For best flavor results, wait at least 24 hours before eating the pickled onions. The longer you wait, the more intense in flavor they will get.
- Make sure your jars are completely clean and sterilized before using them.
- Depending on the size of your onions, you may need more or less to fill the jars.
More Vegetable Recipes
Pickled Red Onions Recipe
- 1 large peeled and thinly sliced red onion
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Start by slicing the onions in whichever manner that you’d like. I prefer thin rings, but occasionally will thinly julienne them as well.
- Add the prepared onions to two clean and sterilized 16-ounce glass mason jars.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar, until everything is mixed and dissolved.
- Pour the brine solution over the onions in the jar making sure they are submerged.
- Screw on the clean and sterilized seal and lid and place them in the refrigerator for 1 hour before they are ready to serve.