Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published August 14, 2018. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fresh summer vegetables are in full swing in the chopped salad that is served up with sliced lemon chicken and a soy vinaigrette.
I love this time of year with all of the wonderful summer produce in peak season. There are just so many things to make and this seemed like the perfect recipe to whip up. It’s hot outside and it’s really hard to eat super heavy meals, so a delicious salad like this is loaded up with cool vegetables and served up with a lemon marinated chicken and soy vinaigrette just hit the spot.
How to Make It
Chopped salads, or as some people call them “chop salads,” are a combination of fresh small diced vegetables and protein that are tossed together and served up with a vinaigrette. To me, this just screams summertime because of all the vegetables you can put in there.
There are so many wonderful fresh veggies in-season that this salad is probably on the high end of how many things are actually in it, but I just couldn’t resist when I was at the grocery store.
Chopping the Vegetables
Once the vegetables are clean then they need to be small diced. If for some reason your knife skills are a little rough, then it’s totally cool to just finely chop all of the vegetables. Sure, they may not be uniform in shape, but just as long as they are very small you’ll be good.
I used a combo of peppers, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, onions, corn, green onions, tomatoes and celery for the vegetables in the chopped salad and served them over finely chopped fresh romaine lettuce and green leaf lettuce.
I want to stress that this recipe can absolutely be fine-tuned to whatever you want to put in it. If you want to add zucchini, go ahead. You want to put in some sprouts, cool! Maybe you want to use different lettuces altogether, go right ahead. Please make this recipe work for you!
Marinated Lemon Chicken
I knew I wanted to serve some kind of protein into this, so I marinated up some chicken in an extremely flavor marinade. I used lemons, sliced garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oil and a bit of thyme in this marinated chicken. It’s important for you to whisk all of these ingredients until it resembles a vinaigrette and then pours it over your chicken.
I like to marinate in plastic bags because I can move the bag around to ensure the chicken is completely coated and sort of set it up in a corner of the refrigerator so that it stays submerged. When it comes to marinated chicken it’s crucial to let it marinate at least overnight.
I know, I know that means it requires some meal planning here, but longer marinated food tastes significantly better. If you do this, you’ll be thanking me for sure!
How to Make the Vinaigrette
This soy vinaigrette is literally the simplest vinaigrette recipe of all time. I literally put some oil, soy sauce, red wine vinegar and a little bit of honey into a jar and shook it until it was emulsified. This soy vinaigrette is absolutely delicious and as I stated so incredibly easy to make, and not-too-mention it goes outstanding in this salad!
More Salad Recipes
If you love this, then check out these other salad recipes.
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad
- Poached Salmon Salad Recipe with French Green Lentils
- Classic Salad Nicoise Recipe
Lemon Chicken Chopped Salad Recipe with Soy Vinaigrette
For the Lemon Chicken:
- 1 cup of oil
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 to 6 thyme sprigs
- 3 chicken breasts
For the Soy Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup of oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
For the Chopped Salad:
- 1 head of small diced romaine lettuce
- 1 head of small diced green leaf lettuce
- 1 each seeded and small diced red and yellow bell peppers
- ½ seeded and small diced cucumber
- ½ peeled and small diced sweet onion
- 1 ½ cups of small diced cherry tomatoes
- 2 shredded carrots
- 4 small diced radishes
- 4 small diced stalks of celery
- 2 trimmed cooked ears of corn
- ½ cup of roasted salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of sliced green onions
- ½ cup of microgreens
- Chicken: Place all of the ingredients together into a plastic bag and mix until completely combined and marinate in your refrigerator overnight or for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to a hot pan over medium-high heat and sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked throughout, about 6 minutes per side. Slice and set aside.
- Vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to a container with a lid and shake until emulsified. Set aside.
- To Plate: Add the lettuces to a large bowl and evenly sprinkle on or fan out all of the small diced vegetables and sliced chicken.
- Garnish with the seeds, green onions, and microgreens.