Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 17, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy-to-prepare creamy cucumber salad is finished with a sweet dressing and fresh dill for the perfect summer side dish. Feel free to customize this salad to make it your own.
Cucumber salads can have different variations to them, but the main ingredients are cucumbers, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. It is an extremely easy salad to make and is a perfect light and refreshing side dish at any get-together. Due to its gentle flavors, you can easily serve some cooked chicken on top.
- Cucumbers – Persian cucumbers are perfect to use in this salad, but you can use burpee or English cucumbers.
- Mayonnaise – this will add a punch of creaminess, and homemade mayonnaise is even better in this. You can also substitute this for sour cream and crème Fraiche.
- Vinegar – White distilled vinegar is great, but you can also use red wine vinegar or cider vinegar.
- Sugar – This will help balance the flavors of the vinegar and add a subtle sweetness to the dressing.
- Dill – Fresh dill is best to use, but you can use dry dill and substitute 1 to 1.
- Seasonings – You will need salt and pepper in this recipe.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
Here are the easy-to-make instructions for this tasty homemade cucumber salad recipe:
Add the sliced cucumbers to a colander over a bowl and mix in salt to help release as much liquid as possible. Let it stand for 20-30 minutes or up to 6 hours. If salting for longer than 30 minutes, place it in the refrigerator.
Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and dill, and set aside.
Slice red onions thinly with a knife or a mandolin.
Gently press down the cucumbers with a spatula and then transfer them to a large clean bowl and toss with the dressing, salt, and pepper. Serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 6 hours ahead of time, however, be sure to keep the dressing separate from the cucumbers before serving.
How to Store: Cover and keep the cucumber salad in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Chef Notes + Tips
- If you are serving immediately, you most likely will not need to salt the cucumbers ahead of time.
More Salad Recipes
Easy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 15 Persian cucumbers, cut into ½ moons
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the sliced cucumbers to colander over a bowl and mix in the 1 tablespoon of salt to help release as much liquid as possible. Let it stand for 20-30 minutes or up to 6 hours. If salting for longer than 30 minutes, place it in the refrigerator.
- Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and dill, and set aside.
- Gently press down the cucumbers with a spatula and then transfer them to a large clean bowl and toss with the dressing, salt, and pepper. Serve.