If you are looking for the ultimate sweet and savory combo than these Olive Oil Cupcakes with Lemon Butter Cream are exactly where it’s at!
The batter is extremely simple to make, just replace the butter or oil in a regular cupcake batter with extra virgin olive oil. I know what you’re thinking but I promise you they are delicious. Next, spray up your muffin tin with PAM Original No-Stick Spray.
The buttercream is a typical buttercream recipe that is spiked with a little lemon zest and juice, and it compliments the cupcakes perfectly.
I went a little camera crazy so you’re going to have to forgive me for all the photos.
Top off the cupcakes with a little fresh lemon zest for a little more boom in the flavor.
Since these are so balanced I actually loved eating them alongside coffee in the morning.. Just an idea :-).
- 1 can of PAM® Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup of whole milk
- ½ cup of mascarpone cheese
- 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- For the cupcakes: In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients, create a well and then set it aside.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together all of the wet ingredients until it is completely combined and then pour it into the center of the dry ingredients well and whisk together until just combined.
- Spray a 12 count cupcake tray with PAM® Non-Stick Cooking Spray and divide the batter evenly.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for 30 minutes or until the tops are browned and firm. Set aside to cool.
- For the Butter Cream: Whip the butter in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and lemon on low speed until combined and then whip it on high speed for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, frost the cakes with the butter cream and serve.