Soup is and has always been my favorite thing to make so now that Fall is setting in, this Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale hit the spot. I go on a soup making hiatus throughout the summer because really there isn’t much to make during those months that is satisfying when it’s hot out, outside of gazpacho. I even tried to do a cook book recently that is about all things soup, but unfortunately as you may have guessed that concept has been beaten passed a pulp. However, that won’t stop me from making it!
I’ve been into cooking with lentils lately, you can see my latest lentil recipe at Salmon and Lentil Salad Recipe. They are so dang tasty and so very good for you! Bob’s Red Mill has 3 different types of lentils, brown, green and red and all are fantastic! I used brown lentils ins this Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale, but by all means you can certainly use one of the other colors. Lentils are considered one of the oldest legumes in the history of world and are jam packed with nutrients just as folate, iron and potassium, not-too-mention they’re delicious!
This Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale could not be any easier to make. The ingredient list is short and non-expensive to purchase from your local grocery store making this one a staple this fall.
It simply starts by roasting up some onions, celery, carrots and garlic in a large pot. I cannot stress enough that you need to take the time to do this. Once vegetables are caramelized they take on a completely different flavor and are so much better. Really quick think to yourself, raw onion or caramelized onion. EXACTLY! I’ll say it again in case you missed it, ROAST YOUR VEGGIES!!
The next step is to add in the lentils, tomatoes, sausage and stock and stew. I put the lentils right in there, but I do recognize there are some purists out there who soak their lentils over night or in hot water for an hour. Honestly lentils cook decently fast so soaking them isn’t an issue for me, but if you want to rinse them by doing the soaking method by all means have at it. My thinking, God made dirt and dirt can’t hurt… Until it does of course :-).
I used beef smoked sausage in this recipe but feel free to change that one up with Italian sausage, bratwurst, chorizo, honestly it can be whatever you’d like. In addition, I love using kale in this recipe. Not only does it give it a little health boost, but it just goes so well with sausage. When using kale though it is best if you simply put a handful into the bowl you are serving it in instead of folding it into the big soup pot you are cooking it in because it will wilt very fast and get a bit soggy. Just a tip!
Thanks for checking out this Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale and be sure to come back often because I am certain I’ll be posting a ton more soups very very soon!
Lentil Soup Recipe with Sausage and Kale
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 3 peeled and small diced carrots
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups of Bobs Red Mill Brown Lentils
- 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 96 ounces of good chicken stock
- 2 pounds of sliced beef smoked sausage
- 2 15 ounce cans of chickpeas drained
- 1 bunch of trimmed fresh kale
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes: shredded fontina crostini’s and chopped chives
- In a large pot on medium high heat with olive oil, brown the onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Once brown add in the thyme, lentils, tomatoes, stock, sausage and chickpeas and simmer on low heat for 60 to 90 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Season with Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and salt and pepper and serve hot with optional garnishes: fontina, crostini’s and chopped chives.
- Serve the kale a handful at a time in individual serving portions so that it does not wilt.