I may be a little late to the game on the big trend of Fried Chicken and Waffles, but it’s still good no matter if it’s starting to quiet down or not. Of course I would never keep things as simple as just fried chicken and waffles so I decided to add a little kick with some fresh grated horseradish. I was going for a little sweet and heat with the horseradish and the maple butter and it really makes a killer combo!
The waffles of course were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. thanks to Bob’s Red Mill and their 7 Grain Pancake/Waffle Mix. It helped save time without suffering and flavor, it was literally amazing. In fact I tested a few different cooking times in my waffle iron and found that the darker the waffles were cooked the nuttier they tasted, it was awesome. Couple an amazing tasting waffle with some fried chicken and maple butter and you’ve got yourself one serious meal!
The trick to really good tasting chicken is all about soaking them in buttermilk. So in the spirit of wanting to incorporate some more delicious horseradish flavor, I decided to add in some prepared horseradish and finely grated garlic cloves. I let the chicken breasts marinate in that mixture for at least 4 hours, or overnight is better, and then I breaded them up in a very heavily seasoned flour with salt and pepper, fresh grated horseradish and fresh thyme leaves.
In case you didn’t know it, thyme goes great with horseradish and maple syrup. I am always in search of the perfect flavor balanced dish and this just may be one of those.
Give this a try, it’s easy and delicious, and definitely pin the big one below 🙂
Horseradish Fried Chicken and Waffles with Maple Butter
For the Chicken and Waffles:
- 6 thin chicken breasts or 6 large chicken tenders
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of prepared horseradish
- 3 finely grated cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 batch of prepared Bob’s Red Mill 7-Grain Pancake Waffle Mix batter
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 cups of canola oil
For the Butter:
- 4 ounces of softened unsalted butter
- ½ cup of grade A maple syrup
- Butter: Whisk together the butter and maple syrup until completely combined and place in the refrigerator.
- Chicken: Place the chicken, buttermilk, prepared horseradish and garlic into a plastic bag and mix. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or over night.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, thyme leaves, fresh horseradish salt and pepper until combined. Once the chicken is done marinating, remove them from the buttermilk and bread them with the seasoned flour and set on a plate.
- Add the oil to a large cast iron skill and place on a burner on medium heat.
- Place the chicken into the iron skillet once the oil is hot and fry the chicken on both sides until it is golden brown and cooked through out, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oil once cooked and let drain on paper towels.
- Waffles: Spray your waffle maker with PAM spray and cook a few batches of the prepared Bob’s Red Mill batter.
- Serve: Place the fried chicken on top of the cooked waffles and top off with the maple butter.