Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 12, 2018. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make a delicious carne asada recipe and serve them up as steak fajitas with homemade flour tortillas and toppings!
Out of the several hundred recipes on my site, I can’t believe I’ve never made these? Crazy I know!
I did at least make this Flank Steak Tacos Recipe.
Well, it’s been long enough, so when I was shopping at the grocery store and walked past the meat aisle there was a beautiful flank steak that was winking at me telling me to marinate it and grill it up and make it into some fajitas.
Well, maybe it was more me than the steak haha.
Regardless I’ve been dying to make a carne asada and turn them into some fajitas and serve all this goodness up with some homemade tortillas and man oh man was it so absolutely delicious that I would seriously eat it every day for the rest of my life with no problem at all!
Let’s hook this up!
The word “Carne Asada” literally translates from Spanish to English as “roast.”
Obviously, carne means beef so beef that is roasted is the literal term that is used.
Traditionally it’s marinated and cooked over the open flame so I tried to stick to that as classically as possible to ensure they were delicious.
I first selected a flank steak which is a skinny piece of lean meat that comes from the belly area of the cow.
When cooked and cut right, flank steak is incredibly delicious and it’s no different for this recipe!
There are a few different variations of marinade that you can use when preparing this carne asada but I tried to do as much research as possible and this one seems pretty authentic.
The marinade a simple combo of fresh lime juice, garlic, cumin, cilantro, jalapeño, sugar, white wine vinegar, olive oil and salt that is whisked together.
The other renditions I’ve seen include soy sauce and onion. You can absolutely add those things into this marinade and it will remain amazing!
How to Cook Them
When it comes to grilling the meat you want to make sure your grill is extremely hot, I like to say in between 450° and 550°.
The grill needs to be hot to ensure it gets the proper sear and so your steak fajitas recipe doesn’t stick to the grill, even though that happened a little bit to me at the end.
Flank steak takes about 4 to 5 minutes per side to cook at these temperatures to achieve a rare to medium-rare internal temperature, which no offense makes for the ultimate steak fajitas recipe.
Sorry, but this is the way you should do fajitas as well if you like a tender juicy steak.
Slice up this flank steak against the grain and boom you’re done!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
This was my first time making these and I was absolutely blown away at just how easy they were to make.
I’ve made corn tortillas and those are insanely easy as well, seriously only 3 ingredients and if you want to check those out then see this Baja Fish Taco Recipe, but homemade flour tortillas are just as easy.
While they are only 5 ingredients they are simple to prepare and really delicious, and I’m pretty sure you may never by store-bought again.
You simply combine your ingredients into a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on low to medium speed until combined and then you knead it for like 1 minute. See, these are super easy!
Once your tortilla dough is done you want to divide it into 20 individual dough balls that you want to roll out to about 8” to 9” in diameter.
If you want to make them huge then take it down to like 12 balls and roll them out to about 12” in diameter, like a straight-up burrito!
After they are rolled out you want to quickly cook them on a super-hot griddle or large frying pan, about 400°.
Cook them for about 20 to 30 seconds per side and that’ll do it! Keep’em warm in a towel until they are ready to be served up.
As far as the toppings are concerned you add on whatever your heart desires along with this carne asada steak fajitas recipe and homemade flour tortillas!
Carne Asada Steak Fajitas Recipe with Homemade Flour Tortillas
For the Carne Asada:
- juice of 3 limes
- 4 finely minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 seeded and finely minced fresh jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 to 2 pounds of flank steak
For the Homemade Tortillas:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon of sea salt
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ cup of canola oil or lard
- 1 1/3 cup of warm water
- Carne Asada: Add all ingredients to a plastic bag and mix until completely combined. Marinate at least for 2 hours or best overnight.
- Remove from the marinade and cook on a very hot grill, 450° to 550° for 4 to 5 minutes per side for a rare to medium-rare internal temperature. Slice against the grain and serve with assorted toppings.
- Homemade Tortillas: Add the flour, salt, and baking powder to a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on medium-low speed and add in the oil and water and knead for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a clean surface and divide it into 20 individual balls.
- Roll each ball out until it is about 8” to 9” in diameter.
- Cook each tortilla on a hot griddle or large frying pan on high heat for 20 to 30 seconds per side or until they are cooked and lightly browned. Keep warm in a towel.
- Serve with the carne asada and toppings.