Fresh Cherry Turnovers
Be sure to try this amazing homemade Fresh Cherry Turnovers recipe that will wow the whole family!
For the Dough:
- 2¾ cups of all purpose flour
- ½ cup of vegetables shortening
- ⅓ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 tablespoons of ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups of pitted fresh cherries
- ⅔ cups of granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
For the Topping:
- ¼ melted butter
- sugar in the raw
- Dough: In a large bowl cut the shortening and butter into the flour until the fat is the size of rice. Next add in salt and slowly drizzle in cold water and cut in until combined. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes. Once rested, remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a flour dusted surface. Using a large circle round, cut as many as you can (should get 8). Next place a small amount of the cooled cherry filling on half of the cut circle round and fold over. Using a fork press the two pieces together so they are molded. Using a knife cut a couple of slits in the top and top off with a little melted butter and a teaspoon of sugar in the raw. Once all the circles are stuffed and formed, place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Filling: Place all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 15 minutes on medium high heat. Next, slowly sprinkle in some cornstarch and stir until thick. Once thick, set aside to cool before stuffing the circle rounds.
- To Plate: Serve hot with ice cream and fresh mint.