Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 8, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty easy-to-make pasta with Italian sausage is loaded up with tomatoes, broccolini, and cheese for the perfect quick meal. It is very easy to customize this pasta to make it your own.
If you love pasta and exploring new flavors then you should for sure try out my pasta Aglio e olio or pasta alla gricia for some classic Roman dishes.
Pasta with Sausage
Pasta is always a great inexpensive ingredient to easily feed a large number of people. It is also very versatile because you can add so many different things to it to make it delicious. To help make pasta a well-balanced meal, adding protein and vegetables will help go a long way.
Some great proteins to consider are: chicken, beef, bison, fish, shellfish, lamb, goat, rabbit, or venison.
Here are some potential vegetables that would be great in this dish: spinach, beans, cauliflower, escarole, artichokes, zucchini, squash, kale, green beans, celery, peppers, carrots, etc.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Oil – Any good olive oil will work for this recipe.
- Onions – I always use yellow Spanish onions in my recipes, but you can use white or sweet onions.
- Garlic – 4 to 5 thinly sliced garlic cloves is what I used.
- Tomatoes – Canned tomatoes work great for this, but if you want to splurge use San Marzano tomatoes or even in-season ripe fresh tomatoes.
- Sausage – You should use a mild or hot Italian sausage.
- Broccolini – Just one bunch will be plenty as the stems will be used as well.
- Pasta – I love using linguine for this dish.
- Cheese – Parmesan is a great cheese to use, but you can substitute it for pecorino or Ricotta Salata.
- Basil – Use fresh basil for this recipe as it will make it much more delicious.
How to Make Pasta with Italian Sausage
Use these easy-to-follow instructions to make this delicious Pasta with Italian Sausage recipe:
Start off this recipe by making a simple Pomodoro sauce consisting of olive oil, caramelized onions, sliced browned garlic, and pureed tomatoes.
Add some oil to a large frying pan or rondeau and cook the sausage for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until well seared and cooked through. Slice and set aside.
Add the pasta to a large pot of boiling water and cook according to the package instructions or until al dente.
Next, add the prepared broccolini and sauté for on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Drain the pasta and add to the pan with the broccolini and then add in the sausage, Pomodoro sauce, cheese, basil, salt, and pepper, and mix.
Serve the pasta with additional parmesan cheese and basil.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: This is meant to be eaten as soon as it is finished being made.
How to Store: Cover the pasta with sausage and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This will not freeze well.
How to Reheat: Add the desired amount of pasta to a medium-sized saucepot and add in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water and heat over low to medium heat while continually gently stirring with a spoon until hot. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Any pasta shape will work for this recipe.
- If you are using fresh homemade pasta note the timing of assembling this recipe as fresh pasta will only take 1 to 2 minutes to cook.
More Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Bucatini All’Amatriciana
- Pasta Cacio E Pepe
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Fettucine Alfredo
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Easy Pasta with Italian Sausage Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 5 thinly sliced garlic clove
- 28 ounce can of peeled whole tomatoes
- 3 mild Italian sausage links
- 1 pound of dry linguine pasta
- 1 bunch of broccolini, cut into 1" pieces including the stem
- 1 cup or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil + more for garnish
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium-size pot over low heat and cook the onions until well browned, which takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Next stir in the sliced garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender and then pour it into the pot with onions and garlic and cook it over low to medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan or rondeau and cook the sausage for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until well seared and cooked through. Slice and set aside.
- Add the pasta to a large pot of boiling water and cook according to the package instructions or until al dente.
- In the meantime, add the prepared broccolini and sauté for on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just cooked but still slightly crunchy.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan with the broccolini and then add in the sausage, pomodoro sauce, ¾ cup of shredded cheese, basil, salt, and pepper, and mix.
- Serve the pasta with additional parmesan cheese and basil.
Incredibly flavor with this pasta dish.
thanks for giving it a shot!!
I will be making this tonight. I have learned so much from you and I truly enjoy your positive videos. My husband asks before dinner, “Are we having a Billy Parisi tonight?” You’re a hit in this house.
Loved it. Here are my mistakes ! I should have used two bunches of broccolini or less pasta as there was way more pasta then sausage and veggies. I should have also saved more cheese for garnish ! And then some extra sauce for reheating. My son had not one not two not three but four bowls of this for dinner! Def making again ! Jessica
Phenomenal! So, so good.
Thank you Chef Billy.
Another great recipe, Billy, thank you!