Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published December 17, 2019. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Detox Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kale is a delicious one-pot soup made with chicken, beans, and vegetables and is perfect for cold winter days.
Continuing on with my detox recipes, I give you this delicious soup recipe. I can honestly already tell in the last week of eating healthier and how my body is responding. If you’ve been following me, then you know I have an infatuation with soup, and this one is a sure-fire winner.
Will It Help You Lose Weight
In addition to a balanced diet, exercise is also key. With that being said, you will often see chicken in diets because it is an extremely lean protein that can also enhance the flavor of a recipe, and in addition, it can also help fill you up, so you’re not snacking on bad foods.
What Does Clean Soup Mean
Eating clean anything means you are using natural products free of any artificial flavors or preservatives. In this soup, I used many fresh ingredients like vegetables, chicken, and herbs.
How to Prepare It
The great thing about preparing this is getting to use fresh in-season vegetables. I say this because this recipe is malleable and can be manipulated based on what’s in season and what’s on sale. Since we are in the peak winter season, root vegetables and strong leafy greens like kale are what are on my mind for this.
- Onions – small dice
- Carrots – small dice
- Celery – small dice
- Garlic – fine mince
- Mushrooms – cut into wedges
- Butternut Squash – medium dice
- Kale – julienne
How to Soak Beans
The first thing you must do for this recipe is to soak the beans.
- The easy but long way is to add your beans to a container and cover them with water by six inches and let them soak overnight.
- While you may not have that time, a quicker way would be to submerge the beans in boiling water and let them stand for 1 hour.
Just a quick little trick there to help you on your to making this up.
How to Make Chicken Detox Soup
- I usually start making this by searing off the chicken.
- During the chicken searing process, this should give you plenty of time to slice and dice up your vegetables.
- Once the chicken is perfectly golden brown on each side, remove it from the pot and add in your vegetables and saute for 10 to 12 minutes over low heat. Doing this will help bring out some flavors plus cook down the veggies a little, so you’ll have room for everything else in it.
- After the vegetables are done sautéing, add back in the chicken, the drained soaked beans, and stock and slow cook your life away until the chicken easily pulls apart and the vegetables are tender.
- It will probably take about 60 to 90 minutes to get to this point. Adjust the seasonings and let it ride!
How to Serve
This soup is much more like a stew. It’s hearty, it’s chunky, and it is dang good. Because I like crisp kale, I actually serve it up per order so that it stays nice and green and crisp when serving it. Nothing worse than wilted brownish kale at the bottom of a soup.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: Soup always tastes better the next day, so if you’d like, you can make this soup up to 3 days ahead. Follow these exact instructions and cover it and keep it cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve it with the fresh kale.
How to Reheat: Add the desired amount of chicken detox soup to a large pot and cook over low heat until hot. You may also add your desired amount to a microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave until hot.
How to Store: Cover the soup and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. The soup will hold in the freezer covered for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating, or add directly to a pot from the freezer and cook over low until hot.
chef notes + tips
- Additional Vegetables: You can also use spinach, collards, scallions, peas, rutabaga, parsnips, turnips, or cabbage.
Other Detox Recipes
If you dig this and want to follow along, check out the recipes below!
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Chicken Detox Soup Recipe
- 2 cups of cannellini beans
- 6 cups of water
- 3 8- ounce chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon of healthy cooking oil
- 2 peeled and small diced yellow onions
- 3 peeled and small diced carrots
- 3 small diced stalks of celery
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of cremini mushrooms, sliced into wedges
- 1 medium-sized peeled, seeded and medium-diced butternut squash
- 96 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 bunch of julienne kale
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Add the beans to a large container and cover them with water. Let sit overnight.
- To speed this process up, boil the water and cover the beans, and let sit for 1 hour. Drain before using it.
- Next, season the chicken breasts on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat and sear the chicken breasts on both sides, and cooked throughout, about 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken to the side and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, and squash to the pot and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Add the chicken back in, along with the drained beans and chicken stock.
- Cook over low heat for 60 to 90 minutes or until the chicken pulls apart easily.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and shred them. Add back to the pot along with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Serve each bowl with a small handful of sliced kale.
Omg! This soup is the best I’ve ever made. I forgot the kale, but I didn’t notice. The flavors were delicious. I gave a small amount to my neighbors. But now I’m at the end of the pot at want more. I have everything for another batch except the butternut squash and stock. So I’m headed to the store. Thank you chef!
That’s awesome. thanks for giving it a shot!!
Wonderful. Perfect for me. Had Mirepoix garlic mushrooms white beans and chard soup with chicken broth. Also had a roasted half acorn squash with rosemary wondering what to do with it. Added chicken and squash, and thyme, it was wonderful. Made my soup so much better. Perfect blend of flavors.
This is REALLY good. As is. It’s a keeper, for sure.
Do you think this would work well with an Instapot? Any tips you can think of? Just looks amazing and I’m anxious to try it.
You probably could but honestly, I don’t mess with instant pots too much so I won’t be able to give you any advice there.
I have been following you for a month and I love all the videos you make. Your Chicken Detox was delicious and my entire family thought it was excellent.
I used the Northern Beans instead of the Cannellini. I would of given this soup ten stars!!!1
Thank you so much for the kind words and so glad you are liking everything!
Thank you so much!
This looks tasty, so I’ll be trying it this week, but adapting it to the slow cooker! I can’t wait.
It is really tasty, you will love it. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Will it be good if you can’t use Garlic & Mushrooms because of food allergies?
It could be yes
I made the soup today and posted on Instagram @mom23lanis
Love your recipes! Thank you.
I saw it and liked it on Instagram! I am so happy you like it, thanks for coming to my site!
Perfect recipe for those New Year resolutions! Doesn’t taste like detox soup at all!
Totally agree, thanks for checking out the recipe!
This soup is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Thanks Courtney, it’s my pleasure!
I’m so glad I found this recipe. I’ve been trying to eat better lately and it’s tough finding recipes that look good and are good for you. Thanks!
You and I both Steph. All this month and a bit into February I am going to be doing detox recipe so be sure to come back!
Such a bowl of complete comfort. This soup looks so amazing!!!
Indeed it is, and it is so dang tasty!!