Beef Stew with Barley and Mushrooms
Author: Chef Billy Parisi
Recipe type: Soup
Try this Beef Stew with Barley and Mushrooms recipe that goes perfect on those cold Winter days!
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 small diced yellow onions
- 2 small diced leeks (white part only)
- 6 small diced stalks of celery
- 6 small diced peeled carrots
- 20 to 30 domestic and baby portobello mushrooms cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons of finely minced fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons of finely minced fresh oregano
- 1 cup of finely minced fresh parsley
- 10 small white potatoes peeled and small diced
- 3 pounds of cubed beed (stew meat)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 96 ounces of beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound of uncooked barley
- Tabasco to taste
- Lea & Perrins to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot or rondeaux on high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil caramelize the cubed beef, but do not completely cook through. Once cooked remove the meat from the pan and add to the pan the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next add in garlic, onions, leeks, celery, carrots and mushrooms and thoroughly caramelize. Once brown add back in the cooked beef along with canned tomatoes, beef stock and bay leaves.
- Once the mixture is boiling add in the barely and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. When the barley begins to open up, add in the potatoes, seasonings and herbs and simmer on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot!