I did it…. Two weeks ago I gave in and bought a slow cooker. The reason I say “gave in” is because a slow cooker goes against everything I was taught as a culinarian. With a normal pot, and complete temperature control, I can caramelize (brown) all of my veggies, proteins, etc. to bring out all the natural sugars and flavors that that particular ingredient offers, which obviously maximizes flavor. A slow cooker kind of boils/steams/braises a bunch of raw ingredient together to infuse flavors, in other words zero caramelization.
The reason we bought a slow cooker is to save time with preparation and the cooking process so aren’t messing around for an hour trying to get something on the table after work. All week long I simply prepped up some vegetables (10-15 minutes) popped them in the refrigerator and called my wife the next day at 11 am ish and walked her through what to put in the slow cooker and on what temperature and time. Shockingly the food has been amazing all week, and I have been ridiculously impressed by the flavors, as well as having plenty for lunch for the both of us the next day.. Point of the story is, I’m a believer in slow cookers and will be sharing with you what I have been cooking 🙂 For now, enjoy this Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Recipe.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- 3 browned and cooked seasoned chicken breasts
- two 28 ounce cans of plum tomatoes and juice
- 16 ounce can of chick peas strained and rinsed
- 1 small diced small yellow onion
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of assorted pitted Mediterranean olives
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 2 cups of chicken stock or water
- 6 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh oregano
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Feta cheese for garnish
- Place all ingredients except oregano, salt and pepper in a slow cooker lined with a slow cooker liner and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Before serving add in oregano and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cooked brown rice and garnish with Feta cheese.